Here I have given the step by step method of how to make this theeyal. There are 2 main steps. First one is fry the okras and make it ready. The second step is the most important one. Here you are roasting all the ingredients together. Care should be taken not to burn it but it should be roasted. So always add the dry powders after you roast the scraped coconuts till golden brown. The raw smell of the powders should go off. Then grind it smoothly. You can also check the recipe of soya chunks theeyal . Check other okra recipes like vendakka masala puli , vendakka mappas, vendakka puli , vendakka avial and so on. Now to the recipe..
|okra / lady’s finger||10 – 12|
|green chilli||2 (optiona)|
|coconut (scraped)||1/2 cup|
|fenugreek seeds / uluva||1/4 teaspoon|
|shallots||3 – 4|
|chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|pepper corns/ kurumulagu||2 -3|
|cumin powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|coriander powder/ malli podi||1 1/2 teaspoon|
|turmeric powder / manjal podi||1/2 teaspoon|
|tamarind / puli||one lemon sized ball|
|mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|dry red chilli||2|
1. Wash the okra in clean running water and wipe it dry.
2. Cut it into 1 inch long pieces.
3. In a pan add little oil and fry the okra pieces nicely. (you will find that they start to reduce in size. )
4. Now transfer the okra pieces into a bowl for later use.
For the masala
1. In the same pan heat little oil, add fenugreek seeds. Let it get roasted. It will become brownish in colour and you get a nice aroma.
2. Now add the sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry again.
3. Add the scraped coconut. Roast it well by stirring till it becomes golden brown in colour.
4. Now add the dry masala powders one by one. Turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Roast it well till it becomes brown and aromatic.
5. Turn off the stove and keep it aside.
6. Once it is cooled, grind it smoothly along with pepper corns in a mixer. Once you have ground it smoothly with enough water, then add the tamarind extract and salt. Give it just one pulse. At this stage you can check the taste once. Don’t add the entire tamarind juice. Add little and then if necessary add the rest of the tamarind pulp
1. In a pan add the okras along with little water, and green chillies. Let it boil.
2. Then add the ground masala. Add water at this stage to get the consistency. Check the taste. If necessary add more tamarind pulp and salt. If you are using fenugreek powder, it can be used at this stage.
Your theeyal is ready to be served. Serve it with hot steaming rice and a side dish of your choice.
1. If you don’t have fenugreek powder, then you can use whole fenugreek seeds. Before roasting the coconut, add the fenugreek seeds, roast it well and then do the rest of the steps