|banana flower (chopped)||1 – 1 1/2 cup|
|onion (chopped finely)||1 (medium)|
|tomato (finely chopped)||1 (medium)|
|tamarind||one lemonsized ball|
|turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|red chilly powder||1 teaspoon|
|coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|hot water||1 cup + 1/2 cup for soaking|
|grated coconut||1/2 cup|
|shallots||4 – 5|
|dry red chilly||2 -3|
|mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|shallots||3 – 4 (finely chopped)|
|fenugreek seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
1. Clean the banana flower, and dip it in turmeric powder water or buttermilk water to remove the stain. Cut into 1 inch long pieces, and put it in the same buttermilk water. Keep them aside.
2. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup hot water for 10 minutes and extract the pulp. Keep it aside in a bowl. (If you are making use of tamarind paste, then you can use 1 teaspoon of paste. )
3. Grind the ingredients given under “for grinding” into a smooth paste. (you can add water as required)
4. Drain the buttermilk water, clean the bananaflower nicely twice in water. In a pan, heat little oil, add the chopped onions and saute for some time.
5. Now add the dry powders turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilly powder and saute till the raw smell goes off.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they turn soft and mushy.
7. Now add kodappan pieces and saute well. Add enough water and bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame, cover the pan with a lid and allow it to cook. Keep stirring in between (For easy cooking you can pressure cook kodappan for 2 whistles and then add it to the curry)
8. Once the kodappan pieces are cooked, pour tamarind extract, 1/2 cup hot water and let it come to a boil nicely till the raw smell of tamarind goes off.
9. Once the raw smell is gone, add ground coconut mixture and let it boil for another 5 more minutes. Turn off the stove.
10. Heat oil in another pan, splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, chopped shallots and curry leaves. Add it to the prepared curry
11. Your curry is ready. Serve it with hot steaming rice.
For similar curry recipes :
Other side dishes :
1. Vazhapindi thoran / Banana stem
2. Ulli thoran
3. Cabbage thoran
4. Carrot beans thoran
5. Avarakka podithuval
6. cheera thoran
1. Soya fry
2. Carrot beans potato mezhukkupuratti
3. Papaya mezhukkupuratti
4. Urullakizhangu mezhukkupuratti
5. Pavakka mezhukkupuratti / Bitter gourd
6. Achinga payar mezhukkupuratti / long beans stir fry
7. Vazhakka mezhukkupuratti
8. Mixed green stir fry
9. urula kizhangu uluva cheera uppery
If you find this post useful, I would be extremely happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and sharing