varan bhaat recipe – tasty and easy to maharashtrian style dal curry with rice.
varan bhaat is a popular maharashtrian dish which is often served along with rice and ghee. It is a tasty homestyle dal curry with rice. A little bit of jaggery is also added while making this dal curry, but I have skipped that. If you want, you can add 1/2 a teaspoon of jaggery.
varan bhaat is also prepared as neivedyam to Lord Ganesha during Ganesh Chaturthi. Here varan stands for the lentil curry and bhaat is the cooked rice with which it is served.
varan bhaat recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: main
- toor dal or arhar dal – 1 cup
- tomato – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- water – 2 and 1/2 cups
- coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- oil or ghee – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- green chili – 1 teaspoon, roughly chopped
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
- curry leaves – few
for bhaat or steamed rice
- cooked rice – 4 cups
how to make maharashtrian varan bhaat recipe
to make varan:
1.Rinse toor dal twice or thrice in clear water. Add the cleaned toor dal to a pressure cooker along with finely chopped onion, tomato, turmeric powder, salt and 2 and 1/2 cups of water. Pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles in a medium flame or until dal gets cooked well. Wait till the pressure subsides. Then open the lid of the pressure cooker, and mash the dal with the back of a ladle.
2. Add around 1 cup of water if necessary to get the desired consistency. The dal should neither be too thick nor too thin. Cook it on a low flame till you get the desired consistency.
3. Heat ghee or oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds, green chili, asafoetida powder, curry leaves and saute well for few seconds.
4. Pour the prepared tempering over the cooked and mashed dal.
5. Serve varan bhaat hot with steamed rice.