urad dal vada recipe | ulundu vada | uzhunnu vada – tasty tea time snack recipe made with urad dal.
urad dal vada recipe
preparation time: 3 – 4 hours
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: snacks
serves: 3 – 4
- whole urad dal – 1 cup
- water – less than 1/2 cup
- salt – to taste
- asafoetida powder or hing – 1/4 teaspoon
- peppercorns – 1/4 teaspoon, crushed
- rice flour – 1 tablespoon
- curry leaves – few, finely chopped
- oil – to deep fry
how to make urad dal vada recipe
1. Wash and soak urad dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours. Keep it in refrigerator so that while grinding, the urad dal will not get heated.
2. Drain the excess water, add the urad dal to a mixer jar.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of water, salt, and grind it to a smooth paste. Take care that the mixer jar should not get heated.
4. Don’t add too much of water. Add just enough water to make a smooth fluffy batter. The batter for urad dal vada should not be too thin. Add 1 tablespoon of batter in between grinding if you feel that the batter is very thick and it is difficult to grind. Add a pinch of batter to a glass of water. The batter should float on top. That is the right consistency.
5. Transfer the urad dal batter to a bowl. Add crushed peppercorns, asafoetida powder, rice flour, torn curry leaves, and mix well. The addition of rice flour is optional. Add rice flour only if the batter is little thin.
6. Heat oil in a kadai. Take a small pinch of batter, place it in a polythene sheet greased with water. Pat the batter into a thick circle. Make a hole at the center. Gently remove the vada and drop it into the hot oil.
7. Fry them in a medium flame. Deep fry the vada on both the sides till they turn golden brown and crispy.
8. urad dal vada is ready. Serve with coconut chutney.