urad dal chutney / ulutham paruppu thogayal – tasty chutney with urad dal. urad dal chutney can be served as a side dish with idli, dosa or with rice.
this urad dal chutney is my mother-in-law’s recipe. she prepared this chutney recently when she visited us and my role was to simply take pics.
this urad dal chutney tastes great with dosa also. Here I have used split urad dal.
the preparation of urad dal chutney is very easy. If you want to serve this chutney for rice, then increase the amount of tamarind. This will enhance the taste. urad dal chutney tastes great with rice and pickle.
Let us see how to make urad dal chutney with simple steps
Other chutney recipes:
how to make urad dal chutney recipe with step by step pics
urad dal chutney recipe or ulutham paruppu thogayal recipe below
- urad dal - 1 cup
- dry red chili - 4 - 5
- garlic - 2 - 3
- coconut - ½ cup
- asafoetida powder or hing - a pinch
- salt - to taste
- for tempering
- oil - 1 teaspoon
- urad dal - ½ teaspoon
- curry leaves - few
- Dry roast urad dal in low flame until golden brown. Transfer it to a plate and allow it to cool.
- To the same pan add dry red chili and roast well for 10 - 15 seconds. Transfer it to the plate along with urad dal.
- Add the roasted ingredients to the pan along with coconut, hing, tamarind and roast well for few minutes in low flame.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a plate and allow it to cool.
- Once the ingredients come to room temperature, add the ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Add salt, and grind it to a coarse paste by adding little water.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- In a pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, curry leaves and saute till it becomes golden brown.
- Pour the tempering over the chutney.
- Urad dal chutney is ready.
- Serve urad dal chutney with idli, dosa, or with rice.