ulli vada or onion vada recipe – tasty, and easy to make vada recipe for snack.
vada is a South Indian deep fried snack made with chana dal or bengal gram dal. But this vada recipe which I am sharing today is an easy one does not require any soaking or grinding. This instant vada is prepared with gram flour or besan, rice flour, onion and few spices.
Serve onion vada with tomato ketchup or simply with some coconut chutney. It tastes great.
Let us see how to make ulli vada or onion vada recipe.
ulli vada video
ulli vada recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 15 minutes
recipe type: snack
serves: 2 – 3
equipments used: kadai / deep frying pan
- onion – 2, big
- besan or gram flour – 1 cup
- rice flour – 1/4 cup
- ginger – 1 teaspoon, grated
- green chili – 2 to 3, finely chopped
- asafoetida powder or hing – one generous pinch
- fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few, torn into pieces
- coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- salt – to taste
- oil – for deep frying
how to make ulli vada recipe
1. To make ulli vada or onion vada, the first step is to finely chop the onions. Keep them aside.
2. Take besan or gram flour, rice flour and asafoetida powder in a bowl. Mix well.
3. To this add finely chopped onion, ginger, green chili, curry leaves, fennel seeds, coriander leaves and salt. Mix well. Don’t add extra water. The moisture in onion will be enough to bind the ingredients together. But if you feel that the mixture is very dry, then sprinkle a little water and mix well. The vada batter should be thick. You should be able to shape them into patties.
4. Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Check whether the oil is hot enough by dropping a pinch of batter into the hot oil. If it bubbles and rises to the top immediately, then the oil is hot enough.
5. Take a pinch of batter, and pressing them with your fingers, shape them into patties. Slowly, slide them into the hot oil.
6. Fry vada in a medium flame until they become golden brown in color. Remove them from hot oil using a slotted spoon and place them on an absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
7. ulli vada is ready. Serve onion vada hot with chutney.