|toor dal / thuvaraparippu||1/2 cup|
|turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|cucumber||1/4 (or around 1 1/4 cup pieces)|
|tamarind extract||one small gooseberry sizd ball|
|sambar powder||3/4 tablespoon (I used everest smabar powder)|
|asafoetida powder / kayam||1/4 teaspoon|
|coconut oil||1 tablespoon|
|mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|shallots (sliced)||10 – 12|
|dry red chilli||2|
2. Transfer the dal to a bowl, add cut vegetables to it. Add 3 cups of water, mix it well. Bring it to a boil and then cook on medium flame till the veggies get cooked well.
3. Now add tamarind extract and salt. Let it boil for some more time or till the raw smell goes off.
4. Now add sambar powder and asafoetida powder / hing. Mix it well and let it boil for another 5 – 6 minutes. Turn off the stove.
5. In another pan, heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds, shallots, dry red chilly, curry leaves and saute for a few seconds. Saute till sambar onion turns light brownish in color.
6. Pour this mix over boiling sambar.
If you find this post useful, I would be extremely happy, if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving