Benefits of toor dal – Toor dal contains folic acid , which is an important vitamin for women,especially for pregnant ladies and those planning to get pregnant as folic acid is very important for fetal development. It is also considered to be a very good source of protein and contain good amount of dietary fiber. Now to the recipe..
|toor dal / thuvaraparippu||1/2 cup|
|coconut (grated)||1/2 cup|
|shallots / cheriya ulli||3 – 4|
|fennel seeds / perumjeerakam||1/4 teaspoon|
|green chilly / pachamulagu||1 or 2|
|turmeric powder / manjal podi||1/4 teaspoon|
|mustard seeds / kadugu||1/2 teaspoon|
|curry leaves / karivepilla||few|
|dry red chilly / varamulagu||2|
1. Clean and wash toor dal. Then add it to a pressure cooker. Add 3/4 cup of water to it and then pressure cook for 2 whistles. Keep it aside and wait till the pressure subsides. (You can also soak toor dal in water for 20 – 30 minutes and then cook it till done. Take care not to over cook toor dal. You should be able to bite it. )
3. In a pan, heat oil. When oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Then add curry leaves and dry red chilly and saute for a few seconds.
4. Then add the ground ingredients and saute for few more minutes.
5. Then add cooked dal, salt and mix gently. (take care not to break the dal)
6. Gently mix it. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of coconut oil on top . Turn off the flame.
7. Toor dal thoran is ready. Serve with rice and any curry of your choice.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving