tomato sambar recipe – tasty sambar recipe with tomato and no vegetables.
tomato sambar is an easy side dish for idli dosa and also for rice. Moreover it does not involve any cutting or chopping and can be easily prepared at home even when there are no vegetables at home.
tomato sambar recipe
- toor dal – 1/3 cup
- tomato – 2, large
- shallots – 10 to 12, or one small onion
- green chili – 1 to 2
- curry leaves – few
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- water – as required
- tamarind – one small lemon sized ball
- sambar powder – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- hing or asafetida powder – a pinch
how to make tomato sambar recipe
1. Wash toor dal twice or thrice in water. Add around 1 and 1/4 cup of water, turmeric powder and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles or until dal gets cooked well. Wait till the pressure subsides. Open the lid, and mash the dal well.
2. Meanwhile, add the chopped tomatoes to a blender or a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth puree. Keep aside.
3. Add tamarind to 1/2 cup of hot water and leave it aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Extract the juice and discard the pulp.
4. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add roughly sliced shallots or sliced onion, and saute for a few seconds.
5. To the mashed dal, add the sautéed onion, tomato paste, red chili powder and salt. Cook for a few minutes on a medium flame. Cook till the raw smell goes off completely.
6. Add tamarind extract, and bring it to a boil. Add water to adjust the consistency. Add sambar powder, mix well. Boil till the raw smell of tamarind goes off completely. Turn off the flame. Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
7. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, hing and saute for a second. Pour the tempering over the sambar. Cover with a lid and leave for a few seconds so that the flavor gets infused well in the sambar.
8. tomato sambar is ready. Serve with idli, dosa, rice