tomato kurma recipe – ingredients
- onion – 2
- tomato – 2
- green chili – 2
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- coconut – 1/4 cup
- fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- pepper corns – 3 – 4
- poppy seeds / khus khus – 1/2 teaspoon
- roasted gram dal – 1 tablespoon
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- cinnamon – 1 small piece
- cloves – 2
Tomato kurma recipe – step by step photos
1. Peel onion and chop them. Same way, chop tomatoes and keep them aside.2. Soak poppy seeds in water for 10 minutes. Add it along with coconut, green chili, peppercorns, roasted gram dal and fennel seeds. Grind to a smooth paste by adding enough water.
3. In a pan, heat oil, add cinnamon and cloves. Then add onion, green chilies, ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off. Add all the spice powders except garam masala, saute well and then add chopped tomatoes. Saute till tomatoes turn mushy. Add little water and cook for some time.
4. Add coconut paste and garam masala. Mix well and let it boil for a couple of minutes and finally garnish with coriander leaves.
How to make tomato kurma
- onion - 2
- tomato - 2
- green chili - 2
- ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
- garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
- turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- For grinding
- coconut - ¼ cup
- fennel seeds - ½ teaspoon
- pepper corns - 3 - 4
- poppy seeds / khus khus - ½ teaspoon
- roasted gram dal - 1 tablespoon
- To temper
- oil - 2 tablespoons
- cinnamon - 1 small piece
- cloves - 2
- Chop onion, tomatoes and keep separately.
- Soak poppy seeds in hot water for 10 minutes.
- In a mixer jar, add all the ingredients given under "for grinding". Grind to a smooth paste.
- In a pan heat oil, add cinnamon and cloves, saute for a second.
- Add chopped onion, green chilies, ginger garlic paste and saute well till it turns light brownish in color.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till it turns mushy and the raw smell of tomatoes goes off. Add a little water and let it cook for some time.
- Add ground coconut paste and garam masala. Mix well.
- Let it boil for some time. Add more water if the gravy is thick.
- Finally, garnish with coriander leaves.