tomato dosa recipe with step by step photos. tomato dosa, also called as thakkali dosa is a tasty dosa recipe with a tangy flavor of tomatoes.
idli dosa are staple South Indian breakfast items. They are also made for dinner. So we always have a stock of idli dosa batter in the refrigerator. But making the same dish regularly is a bit boring and there are times when we forget to grind the batter. In such circumstances, this instant no ferment dosa comes to rescue.
This tomato dosa is a no ferment dosa recipe which can be made easily.
Serve thakkali dosa with coconut chutney or with sambar.
Let us see how to make tomato dosa recipe with step by step photos.
tomato dosa recipe
preparation time: 4 hours
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: breakfast
serves: 3 – 4
- raw rice – 1 cup
- urad dal – 1/4 cup
- poha or aval or beaten rice – 1/4 cup
- dry red chili – 3 -4
- tomato – 4
- shallots or small onion – 4
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- peppercorns – 1/4 teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- curry leaves – few
- oil – for making dosa
how to make tomato dosa recipe with step by step photos
1.Add rice and urad dal into a bowl. Rinse the well under clear water. Add enough water and soak it for 4 – 5 hours.
2. Half an hour before grinding, wash poha or beaten rice and soak it.
3. Drain the excess water from the soaked rice and urad dal. Add to a mixer jar along with the soaked poha, cumin seeds, chopped tomato, peppercorns, asafoetida powder, and salt. Add a little water and grind it to a smooth batter.
4. Heat a tawa or a griddle and grease it with oil. The tawa should be hot but not smoky. When the tawa is hot enough, pour a ladle full of batter and gently move in circular motion. Spread it into a thin dosa. Drizzle oil around the edges and at the center.
5. Once the dosa is cooked on one side, flip it to the other side and cook on that side too.
6. Transfer it to a serving plate. Serve tomato dosa hot with coconut chutney.
tomato dosa recipe below
- raw rice - 1 cup
- urad dal - ¼ cup
- poha or aval or beaten rice - ¼ cup
- dry red chili - 3 -4
- tomato - 4
- shallots or small onion - 4
- cumin seeds or jeera - ½ teaspoon
- peppercorns - ¼ teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing - ¼ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- curry leaves - few
- oil - for making dosa
- Wash and soak rice, urad dal for 4 hours.
- Half an hour before grinding, soak poha.
- Drain the excess water.
- Add soaked rice, urad dal, poha, tomato, shallots, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, salt to a mixer jar.
- Add water little by little and grind it to a smooth batter.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Add torn curry leaves, mix well.
- Heat a tawa and grease it with oil.
- Pour one ladle full of batter onto the hot tawa. When one side is cooked, flip the dosa to the other side.
- Once both sides are cooked, transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve tomato dosa with coconut chutney.