thinai payasam recipe | foxtail millet kheer – tasty and healthy payasam or kheer recipe.
I recently made this thinai payasam for my grandmother’s birthday. A very healthy payasam recipe made with thinai. It can be made easily at home in less than 20 minutes.
thinai is also called as foxtail millet and is gluten-free, rich in protein, iron and has a low glycemic index.
thinai payasam recipe
- thinai or foxtail millet – 1/4 cup
- water – 2 cups
- milk – 3 cups
- sugar – 1/2 cup
- cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- saffron or kesar – a pinch
- ghee – 1 teaspoon
- cashew nuts – 6 to 7
- raisins – 1 tablespoon
how to make thinai payasam recipe ~ foxtail millet payasam
1. To make thinai payasam, first roast the thinai in a low flame for a few minutes. Transfer it to a plate and set aside.
2. Bring water to a boil in a pan. When the water starts boiling, reduce the flame to low, add the roasted thinai and mix well. Cook on a low flame till thinai gets cooked well. Keep stirring in between to avoid thinai sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. To this add milk and cook for a few more minutes till milk gets reduced
4. Add sugar, mix well. Once the payasam reaches the required consistency, add cardamom powder, mix well. Turn off the flame.
5. Heat ghee in a tadka pan or kadai. Add cashew nuts, and fry till they start changing color. Add raisins and fry till they puff up.
6. Add the roasted cashew nuts and raisins to the payasam. Mix well.
7. thinai payasam is ready.