thattai recipe with parboiled rice – thattai is a tasty snack made with rice flour, and spices. It is also called as rice crackers.
thattai with parboiled rice is different from the regular recipe. Here the parboiled rice is soaked, ground into a paste, mixed with spices and then deep fried to get a tasty tea time snack.
One important point to be noted while making thattai is that it should be ground with very little water. If you find excess water in the thattai dough, then wrap it up with a cotton cloth and keep it aside for one hour to absorb the excess moisture.
thattai recipe with parboiled rice
preparation time: 3 – 4 hours
cooking time: 25 minutes
recipe type: snacks
serves: 3 – 4
- parboiled rice – 3 cups
- roasted chana dal powder – 1 cup
- curry leaves – 12
- dry red chilies – 3
- hing or asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- garlic cloves – 8, crushed or sliced
- roasted groundnuts – 1/4 cup
- whole roasted chana dal – 1/4 cup
- butter or ghee – 3 tablespoons
- salt – to taste
- vegetable oil – for deep frying
how to make thattai recipe with parboiled rice
1.Wash and soak the rice atleast for 3 – 4 hours.
2. Grind the rice along with dry red chilies, salt, and very little water to form a fine paste. Make sure you don’t add too much of water. Otherwise, you will not be able to get the shape.
3. Transfer the ground paste to a bowl. Now add the rest of the ingredients to the above paste to form a dough. If you feel that the dough is a little hard, then sprinkle few drops of water. The dough for thattai should not be sticky.
4. Spread a cotton towel on a flat surface, grease your palms, take small pinches of the dough and place them on the cotton towel.
5. Gently press with your fingers and flatten it to get a thin circle. Repeat the same steps with the rest of the dough.
6. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame. When the oil is hot enough, gently slide in the circle one by one and fry in medium flame till it becomes golden brown and crisp. Transfer them to an absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
7. Once cool, store it in an air-tight container. Serve parboiled rice thattai with tea or coffee.