tamarind rice recipe / puliyodharai is a South Indian rice variety. It is a rice variety which is made with tamarind sauce. It is special Tamil nadu style recipe which is very easy to prepare, tasty and can be carried during travel.
The method of preparing tamarind rice is very easy. Rice is cooked and mixed with a paste called pulikkachal or tamarind sauce. There is also a spice powder which is used in the preparation of tamarind rice or puliyodharai. This spice powder is readily available in market, but fresh homemade spice powder gives a special taste to puliyogare.
PULIODHARAI – TAMARIND RICE
Puliodharai recipe – Ingredients
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- salt – as required
For pulikkachal (tamarind sauce)
- Gingerly oil – 3 – 4 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Channa dal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
- Dry red chili – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Roasted peanuts – one handful
- Asafoetida powder/hing- one pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind – small lemon sized ball
For spice powder
- Gingerly oil – 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal – 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- Fenugreek seeds / uluva – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Dry red chili – 2 – 3
- Pepper corns – 6 – 7
How to make tamarind rice / puliyodharai
1. Cook rice and keep it aside. While cooking, add water to rice in the ratio 1:2. (Don’t over cook the rice. The grains should be separate. )
2. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water. Extract the juice and discard the pulp.
Spice powder for tamarind rice
3. In a pan heat oil, roast chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, sesame seeds, dry red chili and pepper corns. Roast in medium flame till it becomes golden brown in color. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
4. Once cooled, grind it to a fine powder.
For tamarind rice / puliyodharai
5. In a pan heat oil, splutter mustard seeds. Then add chana dal, urad dal, dry red chili, asafoetida powder, curry leaves and saute till the dal turns golden brown.
6. Add roasted peanuts, turmeric powder, and saute for two more seconds.
7. Add tamarind extract, salt and let it boil in medium flame. Let it boil for 10 – 12 minutes or until entire water evaporates and oil starts separating. Turn off the flame. Let it cool.
8. Pulikkachal is ready.
9. Take the cooked rice in a wide mouthed bowl or in a wide plate. Let it cool.
10. Once the rice is cooled, add the tamarind sauce or pulikkachal and mix well. Add the required amount of spice powder, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and mix well.
11. Tamarind rice is ready. Serve puliyodharai with papad or appalam.
Hope this post was useful. Do leave your comments, views and suggestions in the box given below.
Enjoy cooking and serving