sugar cookies – sugar cookie is a tasty cookie recipe made with maida or all-purpose flour, sugar, butter, eggs and baking soda.
These delicate sugar cookies are liked by everyone. They can be decorated by sprinkling colored sugar, or with frosting. Today, I am sharing a sugar cookie recipe with royal icing.
For making sugar cookies, the butter should be soft and at room temperature. But it should not be melted. You should be able to press the butter and make an impression without your finger sliding anywhere.
preparation time: 1 hour
cooking time: 10 minutes
recipe type: dessert
serves: 3 – 4
- maida or all purpose flour – 3 cups
- salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- unsalted butter – 1 cup
- sugar – 1 cup
- eggs – 2
- vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
- egg whites – 2
- lemon juice – 2 teaspoons
- icing sugar – 3 cups
- blue food color – few drops
how to make sugar cookies
for sugar cookies
1. To make sugar cookies, first start with sieving the flour, salt, and baking soda.
2. Mix powdered sugar and butter in a bowl. Whisk well until they become light and fluffy. Next, add in the eggs, vanilla extract and whisk well until everything gets combined together.
3. Now add in the sieved flour mixture. Mix well to make a dough. Cover it with a cling film and chill it in the fridge for one hour.
4. Preheat an oven at 177-degree centigrade. Line a baking tray and keep it aside.
5. After one hour, take out the dough, and roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Cut the cookies using a cookie cutter. Place them on a cookie sheet.
6. Again chill it for another 20 minutes.
7. Place them in a preheated oven and bake at 177-degree centigrade for 10 minutes or until the edges are light brown.
8. Gently remove them from cookie sheet and cool them on a wire rack.
for royal icing
9. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
10. Take egg whites into a bowl. Crack an egg and turn it crack side up. You will find the egg yolk remaining inside the shell. Use the second egg shell to catch the yolk. Transfer the yolk from one shell to the other many times. Collect them in a bowl.
11. To the egg white, add lemon juice and mix well.
12. To this mixture, add sugar little at a time, and beat well until they get well combined. Mix well until you find soft peaks. This is the right stage for piping the royal icing.
13. Divide this mixture into two parts. To one part, add blue color and pour it into a piping bag.
14. Pour the second part into another icing bag. This can be used to pipe the lining of the cookies.
15. The first step is to pipe the lining of the cookies. Then, fill in the cookies with the blue icing. Then again using the white icing, make small dots on the cookies.
16. Let it dry for 8 to 10 hours before serving.