how to sprout moong beans with step by step photos – Homemade moong sprouts are easy to make, fresh, economic and are hygienic compared to the store bought ones. Moong sprouts are easily available in the market nowadays, but I prefer making sprouts at home.
I am sure most of us have moong dal or green gram at home as it is used in many dishes across the country like moong dal curry, moong dal salad and many others. But have to tried making moong sprouts at home? Making sprouts at home is very easy and you don’t need any sprout maker or any other special equipment.
Sprouts are rich in nutrients and have a lot of health benefits. They are rich in fibers, boosts immunity, relieves constipation. They are also low in glycemic-index and also help regulate blood pressure. I often make moong sprouts or green gram for curry and salad. I also use them for making pesarattu or green gram dosa. It is said that sprouted pulses are rich in Vitamin C.
Eating raw sprouts are not for everyone : small children, pregnant ladies should avoid eating raw sprouts. They are not easily digestible. Instead cook them in boiling water for a few minutes. Don’t overcook them as they will loose their nutrients.
how to sprout moong beans
- moong beans – 1/2 cup
- water – as required
how to sprout moong beans at home
1. Clean the green gram or moong dal in enough water. Soak it in enough water for 8 to 10 hours.
2. If you are soaking it for more than 8 hours, then change the water. Drain the excess water into a colander.
3. Transfer the soaked gram to a clean muslin cloth or a cotton cloth. Make a tight knot.
4. Place it inside a container and partially cover the container. You could also use a perforated plate (one with holes in it) to cover the container. Keep it in a dark place.
5. Leave it undisturbed till it sprouts.
6. The time taken for sprouting depends on the climate of the region you live in. If it does not sprout within a day, then sprinkle a little water to dampen it.
7. moong beans sprouts is ready. You can keep it in a container for 2 days in the refrigerator.