Shikanji or shikanjvi recipe – is a traditional lemonade of North India and Pakistan.
shikanji is a traditional summer cooler made in north india. It can be made in bulk stored in the fridge. shikanjvi is made in the same manner as we prepare South Indian lime juice or narnaga vellam except that it contains cumin powder and makes use of black salt. Though I had heard about shikanji, I tasted this for the first time at hotel Gramin in bangalore. It tasted great. Then I tried making it at home and makes it very often nowadays.
preparation time: 5 minutes
recipe type: beverage
cuisine: north indian
serves: 2 – 3
- lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- water – 2 glasses
- cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- sugar – 3 tablespoons
- rock salt or black salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- black pepper powder – a pinch
- mint leaves – for garnish
- ice cubes – few
how to make shikanji or indian lemonade recipe
1. Take 2 cups of water in a jar.
2. Squeeze lemon juice directly into the water. Next add salt, sugar, cumin powder and mix well till sugar dissolves.
3. Pour shikanji into glasses.
4. Add ice cubes and garnish with mint leaves.
5. Serve immediately. You can also make shikanji and chill in the refrigerator and then serve.