Sheer khurma is a Persian word where sheer means “milk” and khurma means “dates”. Sheer korma is often served in the morning after eid prayers. It is very easy to make and tasty. Sheer korma recipe requires very less amount of sugar as it contains dates which act as a natural sweetener.The method of preparing sheer khurma is very similar to South Indian semiya payasam except for the addition of dates and nuts. Those who like semiya payasam, I am sure will love this sheer korma also.
Other festival recipes:1. Semiya payasam / vermicelli kheer.
2. Moong dal payasam
3. Paneer kheer
sheer khurma video
SHEER KHURMA RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE SHEER KHURMA
Sheer khurma recipe – Ingredients
- vermicelli – 1/2 cup
- milk – 5 cups
- sugar – 1/4 cup
- ghee / clarified butter – 2 tablespoon
- cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- saffron – 5 – 6 strands
- rose water – 1/4 teaspoon
Nuts and dry fruits
- dates – 7 – 8 (chopped)
- raisins – 2 tablespoon
- cashew nuts – 2 tablespoon
- pistachios – 2 tablespoon (unsalted)
- almonds – 2 tablespoon
- chironji – 2 tablespoon (I didn’t use)
How to make sheer khurma
1. Soak saffron in 2 tablespoons of warm milk.
2. Chop dates in half cup of warm milk.
3. Soak almonds and pistachios in hot water for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove the skin and slice it. Keep it aside.
4. Heat a tablespoon of ghee, add all the nuts and fry it in low flame. Transfer the nuts to another plate.
5. Add raisins to the same ghee and fry it in low flame till it puffs up.
6. Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a pan, add vermicelli and roast it in low flame until it becomes golden brown color.
7. Boil milk in a pan, reduce the flame to low and cook for 10 minutes or until it reduces a little bit.
8. Then add the roasted vermicelli and cook until it becomes soft.
9. Once the vermicelli is cooked well, add sugar and wait till it dissolves.
10. Next add soaked dates along with milk, cardamom powder and soaked saffron milk.
11. Next add nuts, cook for 2 minutes and turn off the flame. Add raisins, mix well. Finally add essence, mix well.
12. Sheer khurma is ready. It can be served hot or cold.
1. Sheer khurma thickens on cooling. Add milk accordingly to get desired consistency.
2. The dates which I used was very sweet, so I added 1/4 cup of sugar. So increase or decrease the sugar according to the sweetness of dates.
Hope this post was useful. Do leave your comments, views and suggestions in the box given below.
Enjoy cooking and serving