set dosa recipe / set dosai -with step by step images –
set dosa / set dosai / poha dosa is a South Indian breakfast dish. set dosa is soft and spongy dosa made with rice, urad dal and beaten rice.
i heard about this set dosa after coming to bangalore. you will find set dosa being served in all the restaurants and food joints in the city. set dosa is served in a set of 3 and hence it is called as set dosa. It is very filling and perfect one for breakfast.
this set dosa is a speciality of karnataka which is very soft and is also called as poha dosa. there is another version of poha dosa which is made in andhra pradesh with curd. it is called as atukula dosa. this set dosa recipe is different from atukula dosa.
set dosa is usually served with coconut chutney and vegetable sagu. the key to get soft dosa depends on the fermentation. if the batter is well fermented, then you will get soft, spongy, porous dosa.
Other breakfast recipes:
1. Rava dosa
2. Pesarattu / moong dal dosa
3. ney pathiri
5. dosa recipe
how to make set dosa recipe with step by step pics
1. Wash rice twice or thrice in water and soak it in enough water for 5 – 6 hours.
2. Wash urad dal and soak it in water for 4 hours.
3. Wash poha and add it to the batter just before grinding. If your poha / aval / flattened rice is very thick, then wash it well, and soak it for 10 – 15 minutes.
4. Add soaked urad dal and flattened rice to a mixer jar and grind well. Add water little by little and grind to a smooth batter. Transfer the ground urad dal batter to a big container and keep it aside covered.
5. Add rice to the mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste. Add water while grinding. Transfer this batter to the bowl containing urad dal. Add salt to it and mix well. Cover and keep the batter aside in a warm place for 10 – 12 hours for fermentation. The duration for fermentation depends on the region. If you live in a place where there is cold climate, then the time for fermentation will be more. In such a case, keep the batter inside a warm oven for faster fermentation. If you live in a hot region, then the batter will get fermented faster.
6. Heat a tawa. Grease it with oil. You can also cut one edge of an onion, dip it in oil and grease your dosa tawa with onion. This will prevent dosas from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Pour 1 ladleful of batter. Don’t spread the batter. Set dosas are thicker than the regular dosas. Drizzle oil around the edges and in the center. You will find small holes appear on the top.
7. Cover it with a lid and cook for some time till the bottom side becomes golden brown in color. Remove the lid, flip the dosa to the other side and cook on that side too. Set dosa is ready.
set dosa recipe or set dosai recipe below:
Set Dosa Recipe
set dosa recipe - healthy south indian style dosa recipe made with poha or beaten rice, rice and urad dal. Can be served with chutney and veg sagu.
Author: Lisha Aravind
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 3 - 4
- Dosa rice - 2 cups
- urad dal - 1 cup
- poha / flattened rice - ½ cup
- fenugreek seeds - 2 teaspoons
- salt - to taste
- water - as required
- oil - for making dosas
- How to prepare poha dosa batter
- Wash rice and soak it in water for 5 - 6 hours.
- Same way, wash urud dal and fenugreek seeds in water two to three times and soak in water for 4 - 5 hours.
- Wash poha and add it to the batter just before grinding. (But if your poha is very thick, then soak it for 10 - 15 minutes).
- In a mixer jar, add soaked urud dal and fenugreek along with poha / beaten rice. Add 1 cup of water and grind it to a smooth batter. Transfer this batter to a container big enough to hold it.
- Add soaked rice to the mixer jar, add little water and grind it to a smooth batter. Transfer this batter along with urud dal batter and mix well.
- Add salt, mix well. Keep the batter covered for 10 - 12 hours for fermentation. (The container should be big enough to hold it. Otherwise, the batter will come out after fermentation. )
- After fermentation, you will find that the volume of the batter increases.
- How to make set dosa
- Heat a dosa tawa or griddle, grease it with oil. Wait till the griddle becomes very hot.
- Add a ladleful of batter in the center of the pan, no need to spread it. Drizzle oil around the edges. You will find small holes appearing on the top. Cover it with a lid and let it cook for some time.
- Remove the lid, flip it to the other side and let it cook on that side too.
- Transfer it to a serving plate. Serve set dosa along with idli podi, chutney and sambar.