vermicelli payasam recipe | semiya paysam is an easy to make payasam recipe which can be prepared at home in less than 20 minutes. My family prefers parippu pradhaman, but whenever I am in a hurry during festivals, I often prepare semiya payasam as it is easy compared to the other South Indian payasam varieties.
To make semiya payasam, all you need is vermicelli, milk, sugar, ghee and nuts. Any variety of vermicelli can be used. Dry roast the vermicelli, cook them in milk, add sugar and cardamom powder. Done.
If you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen, but still want to keep up the festive mood, then this payasam is the easiest one you can make.
Let us see how to make semiya payasam recipe with step by step photos.
semiya payasam recipe
preparation time: 5 minutes
cooking time: 15 minutes
recipe type: dessert
equipment used: pan
- semiya or vermicelli – 1/2 cup
- milk – 1 and 1/2 litres
- water – 1 cup
- sugar – 1/2 cup
- cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- ghee – 2 teaspoons
- cashew nuts – 10 – 15
- raisins – 2 tablespoons
how to make semiya payasam recipe with step by step photos
1. Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan, add cashew nuts, and fry till they start changing color. Transfer them to a plate. Add raisins to the same ghee and fry till they puff up. Transfer them to a plate along with cashew nuts. Keep them separately.
2. In the same pan, add semiya or vermicelli and saute them on a low flame, until you get a nice aroma. Transfer them to a plate.
3. Bring milk and water to a boil in a pan. Reduce the flame to low, add the vermicelli, mix well. Cook on a low medium flame till vermicelli gets cooked well. Keep stirring in order to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until milk becomes thick and creamy.
4. Add sugar and cardamom powder. Stir until the sugar dissolves completely. Cook on a low flame for another 5 more minutes. As the payasam cools, it will get thicker. You can add milk accordingly to get the desired consistency. Turn off the flame.
5. Garnish with cashew nuts and raisins. semiya payasam is ready. Serve warm or chilled.
1. For a richer payasam, reduce the amount of sugar and add condensed milk.
2. The payasam can be served hot or cold. Rose essence can be used instead of cardamom powder.
semiya payasam recipe | vermicelli payasam below
- semiya or vermicelli - ½ cup
- milk - 1 and ½ litres
- water - 1 cup
- sugar - ½ cup
- cardamom powder - ¼ teaspoon
- ghee - 2 teaspoons
- cashew nuts - 10 - 15
- raisins - 2 tablespoons
- Heat ghee in a pan. Fry cashew nuts, raisins and transfer them to a plate.
- In the same pan, roast vermicelli till it releases nice aroma. Transfer to a plate.
- Bring milk and water to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to low, add the roasted vermicelli. Cook till vermicelli gets cooked well and milk turns creamy.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, mix well.
- Cook on a low flame for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with cashew nuts and raisins.