samai thakkali sadam or little millet tomato bath – a healthy millet recipe.
We all know the health benefits of millets, they are rich in fiber, low in calories and are gluten-free. I always get requests to post millet recipes. We can make a lot of dishes with millet like biryani, idli, upma, dosa, ladoo, pongal, cakes and many others.
Serve samai thakkali sadam with raita and papad.
samai thakkali sadam
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 15 minutes
recipe type: millet, lunch recipe
- samai – 1/2 cup
- oil or ghee – 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
- onion – 1, finely chopped
- green chili – 1, slit
- tomato – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- sambar powder – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander leaves – few
- salt – to taste
how to make samai thakkali sadam recipe
1.Finely chop onion, tomato and coriander leaves, keep aside.
2. Rinse the samai or little millet twice or thrice in water. Drain the excess water, add the rice to a pressure cooker along with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add 1 cup of water and cook on a medium flame for 1 whistle. Turn off the flame. Allow the pressure to subside. Then open the pressure cooker, mix well and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add bay leaf and saute for a few seconds. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
4. Add cumin seeds and wait till they sizzle. Add onion, green chili and saute till onion turns translucent.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well on a medium flame until tomatoes get cooked till mushy and oil starts separating on the sides of the pan. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, sambar powder, salt and mix well. Saute till the raw smell of masala goes off completely.
6. Now add the cooked rice, mix well. Cook for a few more minutes until everything gets mixed well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
7. samai thakkali sadam is ready. Serve with salad and papad.