sakkarai pongal tastes great with a lot of ghee in it. But if you are very calorie conscious, you can reduce the amount of ghee.
sakkarai pongal recipe
- raw rice – 1/2 cup
- moong dal – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- jaggery – 3/4 cup
- water – 3 cups for rice + 1 and 1/4 cup for jaggery
- ghee – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- cashew nuts – 10
- raisin – 1 tablespoon
- cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
how to make sakkarai pongal recipe with step by step photos
1. In a pan heat ghee and fry raisins till they puff up and cashews till they change color. Transfer it to a plate. In the same ghee, add cashew nuts and fry till they start changing color. Transfer it to another plate. Keep aside.
2. Dissolve jaggery in hot water. Heat it until the remaining lumps get dissolved. Let it come to a rolling boil. Turn off the stove and strain it. Keep it aside.
3. In a pressure cooker, dry roast rice and dal separately till it becomes slightly hot. No need to change color. Rinse it well.
4. Pressure cook rice and dal with 3 cups of water for 3 -4 whistles. Allow the pressure to subside. Open the pressure cooker. Mash it and keep it aside.
5. Add jaggery syrup to a kadai. Add the cooked rice and cardamom powder. Mix it well and cook in medium flame for 5 minutes.
5. If you find that it is becoming dry, then add ghee and bring it to pongal consistency.
6. Then finally add, ghee, roasted cashews and raisins.
7. Serve sakkarai pongal hot.
sakkarai pongal recipe | sweet pongal recipe below
- raw rice - ½ cup
- moong dal - 1 and ½ tablespoons
- jaggery - ¾ cup
- water - 3 cups for rice + 1 and ¼ cup for jaggery
- ghee - 2 to 3 tablespoons
- cashew nuts - 10
- raisin - 1 tablespoon
- cardamom powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Heat ghee in a pan. Fry cashew nuts, raisins, keep aside.
- Dry roast moong dal in a pressure cooker.
- Rinse the moong dal and rice.
- Pressure cook them with 3 cups of water for 4 whistles on a medium flame.
- Open the pressure cooker, mash well.
- Make jaggery syrup. Strain it.
- Add the jaggery syrup to a kadai.
- Add the cooked and mashed rice dal mixture and cardamom powder. Keep stirring and cook for a few minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Add the roasted dry fruits.
- sakkarai pongal is ready