saagu / veg sagu recipe / mixed vegetable sagu recipe is a coconut based veg gravy. It has got a creamy texture from coconut and poppy seeds.
saagu is a classic Karnataka special side dish for breakfast items like set dosa or poori or chapati. It is a famous dish in Karnataka and is served in many hotels here.
recently when I shared set dosa recipe, one of the reader asked me how to make veg sagu for set dosa. Set dosa with saagu is one of the best breakfast combination. So, I am posting the recipe for veg saagu.
saagu is very easy to prepare and is one of the best way to include veggies in your diet. Though the ingredients look same as that for veg kurma, but the taste is entirely different. Moreover, veg saagu does not use any extra masalas like coriander powder, chili powder or any others. In spite of that it is very tasty.
there are no hard and fast rules on the vegetables to be added in saagu. you can add any vegetable available at home. I added carrot, beans, potato, and peas.
serve veg saagu with chapati, poori, set dosa, rava idli, or with rava dosa.
Other Karnataka recipes:
how to make saagu recipe or veg sagu recipe
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan or kadai. To this add slit green chilies, cinnamon, marathi moggu, cloves and saute for a few seconds. Turn off the flame.
2. Add these roasted ingredients along with fresh grated coconut, poppy seeds, pottu kadala (roasted gram), and coriander leaves. Add enough water and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
3. In a pan heat oil or ghee (clarified butter). Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Now add chopped onion and saute till it becomes translucent.
4. Add chopped vegetables, salt, and saute well till the vegetables become slightly crispy.
5. Next add the ground masala, and saute until oil starts separating from the sides of the pan. Now add around 1 1/2 cups of water, mix well. Check for salt and add more if necessary. Pressure cook for 1 – 2 whistles. (You can also cook in a pan, but it is time-consuming.) Making saagu in a pressure cooker makes the curry ready in minutes.
6. Wait till the pressure subsides. Then open the lid, add lime juice to it and mix well.
7. Serve veg saagu hot with poori or chapati or set dosa or atukula dosa.
saagu or veg sagu recipe below
- mixed vegetables - 2cups
- onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- lemon juice -
- ghee or oil - 2 tablespoons
- to grind
- cinnamon - 1 small piece
- cloves - 3 - 4
- marathi moggu - 1 - 2
- coconut - ½ cup (grated)
- fennel seeds or perumjeerakam- ½ teaspoon
- khus khus or poppy seeds - 1 tablespoon
- roasted gram - 1 tablespoon
- green chili - 3 - 4
- coriander leaves - one handful (chopped)
- oil - 1 teaspoon
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan or kadai.
- Make slits in green chili, and add it to the kadai and fry them.
- Add cinnamon, marathi moggu, cloves to the kadai and fry for some time. Turn off the flame.
- Add the fried ingredients along with grated coconut, poppy seeds, fried gram, coriander leaves to a mixer jar.
- Add ¼ cup of water little by little and grind it to a smooth paste.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil or ghee.
- Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onion and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add vegetables, salt and saute them well for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the ground masala and fry until oil starts separating from the sides of the pan.
- Add 1 - 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 1 - 2 whistles. Turn off the flame.
- Once the pressure subsides, add lemon juice to it and mix well.
- Serve saagu hot with poori or chapati set dosa or atukula dosa.