red coconut chutney (kerala style) is a bright red colored kerala style chutney. It is made with red chilies, onion and coconut. This is a very easy to make chutney which can be made in less than 10 minutes.
usually we prefer coconut chutney for dosa. Sometimes, I add green chili, sometimes red chili powder. You can make variations depending on your taste buds. The taste of coconut chutney varies depending on the kind of chili added.
But hubby loves this red coconut chutney. The addition of ginger and shallots enhances the flavor of the chutney and the smell of roasted shallots is simply mouthwatering.
this kerala style red coconut chutney is a perfect accompaniment with south indian tiffin snacks like idli, dosa, uttapam, and medu vada.
it is very easy to make red coconut chutney. Just grind all the ingredients and then temper. The main difference is the addition of shallots while tempering. The addition of shallots gives the chutney a nice aroma.
Other chutney recipes with coconut:
how to make red coconut chutney
Kerala style red coconut chutney recipe below
- Coconut - ¾ cup
- shallots - 3- 4
- ginger - 1 small piece
- dry red chili - 4 (or red chili powder - 1 teaspoon)
- salt - to taste
- water - ¼ cup
- for tempering
- coconut - 2 teaspoons
- mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves - few
- shallots - 3 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- In a mixer jar add all the ingredients for grinding except water.
- Grind it to a smooth paste by adding little water at a time. Keep aside.
- In another pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped onion, curry leaves and saute in low flame till it becomes brownish in color. Pour the tempering over the chutney, mix well.
- Serve coconut chutney with dosa.