red aval upma recipe or red poha upma – a tasty and easy to make aval upma or poha upma for breakfast.
red aval or red poha is flattened rice made with red rice. It is healthy, rich in fiber and nutritious. It has more iron content than the regular poha and is easy to digest.
There are many varieties of poha available in the market and many vary in thickness. Here I have used thick variety red aval. So, I have soaked it in warm water before using it. But if you are using a thin variety, just wash it in water, drain the excess water and use it immediately, otherwise, your poha upma will turn mushy.
aval upma is one of the quickest breakfast recipes or tiffin variety one can make. It is healthy, filling and easy to make. You can also add cooked vegetables to red aval upma to make it healthier.
red aval upma recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 10 minutes
recipe type: breakfast
serves: 2 – 3
- red aval or red beaten rice – 2 cups
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- chana dal – 1 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- green chili – 2, chopped
- ginger – 1- inch piece, finely chopped
- asafoetida powder or hing – a generous pinch
- curry leaves – few
- onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- coconut – 2 tablespoons, grated
- salt – to taste
how to make red aval upma recipe
1.Wash poha and soak it in warm water for 5 minutes. Drain the excess water and leave it in a colander to remove the excess water. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, chana dal, chopped ginger, green chili, curry leaves and saute for a few minutes till dal turns golden brown. Add hing and mix well. You can also add cumin seeds, roasted peanuts if you wish to. But usually, in kerala cooking, we don’t add peanuts. So I haven’t added any.
3. Add onion and saute till onion turns light brownish in color.
4. Add the washed and soaked poha, salt, and mix well. Cover and cook for a 2 to 3 minutes. If you feel that the poha is not soaked properly, sprinkle little water, mix well. Then cover and cook for a few minutes.
5. Open the lid, add grated coconut, mix well. Turn off the flame.
6. Aval upma is ready to serve.