Rava pongal – easy South Indian breakfast
Rava pongal / rava pongal recipe is a tasty, easy to make and healthy breakfast dish of South India. It is made with rava / sooji / semolina. Rava is mixed with moong dal / yellow lentils, seasoned with cumin, pepper and curry leaves sauteed in ghee to make this delicious rava khara pongal or rava ghee pongal. Rava pongal is an easy recipe to make especially during morning hours. I use pressure cooker to cook moong dal / yellow lentils, as cooking with pressure cooker is easier and convenient during morning hours.
But the recipe for making rava pongal is a bit different. The ingredients are the same. Since rava / semolina gets cooked fast, moong dal / yellow lentils are cooked first, then rava is cooked and then both mixed together. Finally add the seasoning. Rava pongal is ready.
Pongal is a special South Indian delicacy. It is served as a breakfast item along with sambar, ghostu or with coconut chutney. These three make a wonderful combo with pongal. The recipe for making pongal is very easy. Just cook moong dal and rice together and then add the seasonings.
I started making pongal after marriage, as my husband loves Tamil Nadu foods. Now everyone likes pongal at home and I find it easy to prepare during morning hours. But this rava pongal recipe was a real hit at home. I always add one or two teaspoons of extra ghee while serving for kids.
Other pongal recipes:
RAVA PONGAL – HOW TO MAKE RAVA PONGAL
Rava Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
- rava – 1 cup
- moong dal / green gram dal / cheru parippu – 1/4 cup
- peppercorn – 3/4 teaspoon (coarsely crushed)
- cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- ginger – 1 teaspoon (grated)
- salt – to taste
- curry leaves -2 sprigs
- water – 4 1/2 cups
- cashew nuts – 10 (broken)
- ghee / clarified butter – 4 tablespoons
How To Make Rava Pongal
3. Meanwhile, coarsely crush cumin seeds and peppercorns using a mortar and pestle. (Or you can use a mixer jar also. ) Keep it aside.4. Heat the remaining ghee in a pan. Add cashew nuts and fry for 1 – 2 minutes. Then add curry leaves and saute well.
6. Pour 3 1/2 cups of water into the pan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. When the water starts boiling, add the roasted semolina, little at a time to avoid lumps. Mix well.7. When rava is cooked well, add moong dal / green gram dhal, along with the cooked water.
8. Now, add the coarsely ground pepper powder, cumin powder and mix well.
9. Finally add the fried cashew nuts, curry leaves and the remaining ghee and remove from fire.
10. Serve hot with coconut chutney, sambar or gosthu.
Hope this post was useful. Do leave your comments, views, or suggestions in the box given below.
Enjoy cooking and serving