Rava kichadi – South Indian breakfast item
Rava kichadi is a very famous South Indian breakfast item. It is very easy to make and is made with rava or semolina. The addition of vegetables gives it the rava kichadi a wonderful taste. It is a one pot dish made with rava and other vegetables. Rava kichadi is very soft and melts as soon as you put it in your mouth.
I often make rava upma on Sundays. But it gets boring at times. So I made this rava kichadi as an alternative. It was very tasty that nowadays, I prepare rava kichadi very often.
In this recipe of rava kichadi, I have added carrots and green peas, but you can also add other vegetables like beans, potato, and other veggies of your choice. The amount of ghee is very important for making rava kichadi.
This tasty rava kichadi can also be made for dinner. It is very easy to make and tasty.
I love having rava kichadi hot with coconut chutney accompanied with a cup of hot coffee.
Serve rava kichadi with coconut chutney and sambar.
Let us see how to make rava kichadi with step by step pictures.
Other similar recipes:
how to make rava kichadi recipe with step by step pics
1. In a pan, add rava or semolina and dry roast it in low flame till it becomes light brownish in color. Keep stirring in order to avoid burning. Dry roast it in a low flame so that the rava gets roasted evenly.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, chana dal, and saute till it becomes golden brown color.
3. Add chopped onion, salt, curry leaves and saute till it becomes light brown in color. Add ginger and saute till the raw smell goes off.
4. Add chopped tomato and saute well. Let the tomatoes get cooked well and become mushy. (If you find that the tomatoes are not getting cooked well, sprinkle little water and then cook the tomatoes. )
5. Add chopped carrots, peas and saute well. Add cashew nuts and saute again. (If you are using frozen peas, then use it as such. In case of fresh green peas, cook it first and then add it to kichadi. )
6. Add 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add the required amount of salt. Mix well.
7. Reduce the flame, add rava or semolina. Keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Reduce the flame, cover the pan with a lid and let it cook.
8. Finally, add a teaspoon of ghee.
9. Rava kichadi is ready. Serve hot.
rava kichadi recipe or rava kichidi recipe below
- rava or semolina -1 cup
- bay leaf - ½
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - one small piece
- carrot - 1 small
- green peas - ¼ cup
- onion - 2 finely chopped
- green chili - 2
- tomato - 1
- ginger - 1 teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- oil - 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- urad dal - 2 teaspoons
- cashew nuts - 4 - 5
- curry leaves - few
- ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, chana dal and saute till it becomes golden brown color.
- Add chopped onion, salt, curry leaves and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add ginger and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes and saute till they turn mushy.
- Add chopped carrots, peas and saute well.
- Add cashew nuts and saute again.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the required amount of salt. Mix well.
- Keep stirring and add rava or semolina and mix well without lumps.
- Reduce the flame, cover and let it cook.
- Finally, add a tablespoon of ghee, mix well.
- Serve rava kichadi hot with coconut chutney and sambar.