rava idli recipe with step by step pics. Breakfast is a very important part of our meal. rava idli is a very tasty and easy to make instant idli recipe. It is made with rava or sooji or semolina as the main ingredient. I would like to categorize this post under 20 minute breakfast recipes.
Rava idli – instant Indian breakfast recipe
idli is a staple South Indian breakfast item made with rice and urad dal. But there are a lot of processes involved in the preparation including soaking, grinding and fermentation. It is a very time consuming process.
rava idli is one of the easiest breakfast recipes and it really helps me out when I run out of idli batter. I make it very often, and today I made rava idli along with onion tomato chutney and coconut chutney for breakfast.
Rava idli can be made in two ways : one using normal rava or sooji and other by using idli rava.
The method of making rava idli batter is very easy. Unlike regular idli, there is no grinding or fermentation time needed in case of rava idli. The batter can be made ready in less than 20 minutes.
The key to making perfect rava idli is that the batter should not be too thick not too thin. And also give the batter 10 minutes soaking time. During this time, rava will absorb the moisture content from the batter, and then when you cook it, you will get soft, fluffy idli. Also, the addition of curd and eno fruit salt or baking soda is a must. I have added baking soda here.
I have added grated carrots here, but if you want, you can also add grated cabbages, boiled peas to make rava idli more nutritous.
Rava idli tastes great when served hot especially with coconut chutney, but somehow I like it with onion chutney.
Let us see how to make rava idli recipe with step by step photos.
You might be interested in 80+ breakfast recipes on this blog.
Rava idli recipe
- rava or sooji – 1 cup
- eno fruit salt – 1/4 teaspoon (or baking soda – a pinch)
- cashew – 6 – 7
- curd / yogurt – 1/2 cup
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1/4 teaspoon
- chana dal – 1/4 teaspoonhing / asafoetida powder – a pinch
- hing / asafoetida powder – a pinch
- green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- carrots – 1/4 cup (grated)
- coriander leaves – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- salt – to tastewater – less than 3/4 cup
- water – less than 3/4 cup
how to make rava idli
1.Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, chana dal, cashew, chopped green chili. Saute for a minute.
2. Add grated carrots and saute for a second.
3. Add rava or semolina and roast for 4 – 5 minutes on medium flame.
4. Wait till rava gets cooled well. Transfer the roasted rava to a bowl. Add curd / yogurt, salt and mix well. Now the batter will be thick. Slowly, add 1/2 cup of water, leave it aside for 10 – 15 minutes. (You can also add few drops of lemon juice to the idli batter. ) Now you will feel that the batter is in the right consistency, but rava will absorb the water and the batter will become thick. Now slowly, add water little by little. You will have to add 1 – 2 tablespoons of water more to bring the rava idli batter to the required consistency. Keep stirring so that everything get mixed well.
5. Add coriander leaves and mix well.
6. Before making idlis add eno salt or baking powder, mix well. Take care not to leave the batter outside for a long time after adding eno or baking soda. As soon as you add eno salt or baking powder, mix and then pour the batter immediately into idli plate.
7. Grease an idli plate and pour the batter. Steam cook it for 10 – 15 minutes or until a knife when inserted comes out clean. Remove the idlis using a spoon and serve hot with chutney.
rava idli recipe below
- rava or sooji - 1 cup
- eno fruit salt - ¼ teaspoon (or baking soda - a pinch)
- cashew - 6 - 7
- curd / yogurt - ½ cup
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- urad dal - ¼ teaspoon
- chana dal - ¼ teaspoon
- hing / asafoetida powder - a pinch
- green chili - 1 (finely chopped)
- carrots - ¼ cup (grated)
- coriander leaves - ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- salt - to taste
- water - less than ¾ cup
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, chana dal, cashew, chopped green chili and hing. Saute for a minute.
- Add grated carrots and saute for a second.
- Add rava and roast for 4 - 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Let rava get cooled. Transfer rava to a bowl.
- Add curd / yogurt, salt and mix well without lumps. Add ½ cup of water, leave it aside for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add one or two tablespoons more of water to adjust to idli batter consistency.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Grease an idli plate.
- Add eno or baking powder, to the batter, mix well.
- Pour the batter immediately into idli molds and steam cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve rava idli hot with chutney or sambar.