Rava appalu recipe / rava appam –
is an Andhra style appalu or appam made with rava / sooji / semolina. This appalu recipe does not make use of any other ingredient except rava, sugar and ghee. This is a traditional Andhra recipe which can be prepared during festivals. It can also be made as prasadam during Navaratri celebrations.
Appalu is a traditional Andhra sweet made with rice flour and are very soft and not very sweet. It is very similar to Kerala style unniappam. The main difference is that Kerala style unniappam uses jaggery and banana, and rava applau uses sugar instead.
RAVA APPALU RECIPE – RAVA APPAM RECIPE
Rava appalu recipe – Ingredients
- rava / sooji / semolina – 1/2 cup
- water – 1 cup
- sugar – 1/4 cup
- coconut (dry- grated) – 2 tablespoon (optional)
- cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- ghee / clarified butter – 1 teaspoon
- ghee / oil – as required (for frying)
How to make rava appalu
1. In a pan heat water. Let it start boiling. Add 1 teaspoon of ghee.
2. Add rava / semolina to the water, while stirring with the other hand. This will avoid the formation of lumps. Mix well.
3. Add sugar, grated coconut, cardamom powder and mix everything well.
4. Reduce the flame, mix well. Turn off the flame.
5. Cover and leave it aside for 5 minutes.
7. Grease your hands with ghee or oil, take each ball and slightly flatten it in between your palms. Keep aside.
7. In a tawa heat ghee / oil. When hot enough, gently place each rava patties onto the tawa and fry them on medium flame until it becomes golden brown color. (I shallow fried it with ghee. )
8. Take it out with a slotted spoon and let it cool. Rava appalu is ready.
Hope this post is useful. Do leave your views, comments and suggestions in the box given below.
Enjoy cooking and serving