Rajma recipe – easy side dish for rice
Rajma recipe with step by step pics – is a very easy to make curry made with rajma or kidney beans. Rajma masala is a very popular North Indian dish where rajma is cooked in an onion tomato gravy.
This recipe of rajma masala is an easy to make one pot dish. I have followed pressure cooker method and the entire process needs less than 30 – 35 minutes for the entire preparation.
At home, kids love rajma and all rajma recipes are prepared in my house. Recently, I was going through an old cook book and found this easy punjabi rajma recipe. I immediately bookmarked it and try it the next day. It was very delicious and the rajma was cooked well that it melted in the mouth.
Rajma masala or rajma curry with rice which is called as rajma chawal is a very popular Punjabi recipe. It is a favorite in my family. I am sharing a very easy version of making Punjabi style rajma masala. This is not a restaurant version.
This recipe of rajma masala curry is very easy to make. Grind onion, ginger and garlic together. Saute all ingredients in a pressure cooker. Add tomato, saute nicely. Add the dry masala powders, rajma, saute for a few more seconds. Add water and cook till soft for around 30 minutes. Isn’t easy.
I have already shared the recipe of Kashmiri style rajma curry. There are two varieties of rajma available in the market. One is light brownish and the other is reddish in color. I have used the reddish colored rajma to make this curry, but you can use the lighter colored rajma also.
While making rajma curry, one thing to be noted is that rajma should be cooked well. It should be very soft and you should be able to chew it easily. It should not be hard. Uncooked beans destroys the taste of the dish and also cause stomach upset.
So it is very important to soak rajma overnight or atleast for 10 hours and cook in low flame for 20 – 25 minutes after the first whistle.
I have a rajma recipe without onion and garlic. Will share it very soon.
This punjabi rajma masala can be served with steamed rice, or with chapati, roti or naan.
Let us see how to make punjabi rajma masala recipe with step by step pictures.
How to make easy rajma recipe or punjabi rajma masala with step by step pics
1.Soak rajma in enough water overnight or for 8 – 9 hours. After that, drain the excess water from rajma. Rinse it once more in clear water. Keep aside.
2. Grind together onion, garlic, and ginger. Keep aside. Don’t add too much of water while grinding.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Add dry red chili and saute for a second. Add the ground paste and saute well till the raw smell goes off. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute till they become mushy and oil starts separating.
5. Add red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt. Saute well till the raw smell goes off.
6. Add the drained and washed beans, water and pressure cook for 25 minutes. (Cook for 1 whistle on high flame, then reduce the flame and cook for 25 minutes. Rajma will get cooked well. )
7. Wait till the pressure subsides. Open the lid. If there is excess water left, then dry off the excess gravy. Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
8. Punjabi rajma masala can be served along with rice, roti or chapati.
punjabi rajma recipe or rajma masala recipebelow:
- rajma - 1 cup
- for grinding
- onion - 2 (medium)
- garlic - 4 - 5 cloves
- ginger - 1-inch piece
- for curry
- oil - 3 tablespoons
- tomatoes - 2 (medium - finely chopped)
- salt - to taste
- red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
- kashmiri red chili - 2
- garam masala - 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
- water - as required
- coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon - finely chopped
- Soak rajma in enough water overnight or for 8 - 9 hours.
- Grind together onion, garlic, and ginger. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add dry red chili and saute for a second.
- Add the ground paste and saute well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute till they become mushy and oil starts separating.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt. Saute well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the drained and washed beans, water and pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- Wait till the pressure subsides. Open the lid.
- Dry off the excess gravy.
- Finally, garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve rajma masala with rice and roti.