rajma biryani recipe with step by step pictures – tasty biryani recipe for lunch with kidney beans.
Sometimes, I run out of vegetables, and in such cases I try to cook easy rice varieties like this rajma biryani which is easy to make, healthy and nutritious. It is a best recipe for lunch box. I serve it with raita and some fruits to go along with it.
rajma biryani recipe
preparation time: 10 hours
cooking time: 30 – 40 minutes
recipe type: main
equipment required: pressure cooker
- basmati rice – 1 and 1/2 cups
- rajma or kidney beans – 1 and 1/2 cups, cooked
- oil or ghee – 3 tablespoons
- cardamom – 1
- cloves – 3 to 4
- bay leaf – 1, small
- cinnamon – 1/2-inch piece
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- onion – 1, big
- ginger garlic paste – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
- tomato – 1
- mint leaves – 2 tablespoons
- curd or yogurt – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- water – 2 and 3/4 cups
- coriander leaves – few
how to make rajma biryani recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash and soak rajma or kidney beans in enough water for 10 to 12 hours. I usually soak it overnight. Add it to a pressure cooker with enough water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook in a high flame for 1 whistle and then in a low flame for 20 minutes. Turn off the flame.
2. Soak basmati rice in enough water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
3. Heat oil or ghee in a pan. I often use 2 tablespoons of oil and 1 tablespoon of ghee.
4. Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and saute for a few seconds.
5. Add onion, green chili, ginger garlic paste and saute till onion turns light golden brown in color.
6. Add mint leaves, saute again for a few more seconds.
7. Add finely chopped tomatoes, and saute till they turn mushy. Add curd, mix well. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and saute for a few seconds till the raw smell of masala goes off completely.
8. Add rice, rajma, salt, and water. Mix well. Check for salt, if necessary, add more.
9. Add finely chopped coriander leaves, mix.
10. Cover the pressure cooker with lid and cook for 1 whistle in a low flame. Turn of the flame. Wait till the pressure subsides.
11. rajma biryani is ready. Serve with raita.
rajma biryani recipe
- basmati rice - 1 and ½ cups
- rajma or kidney beans - 1 and ½ cups, cooked
- oil or ghee - 3 tablespoons
- cardamom - 1
- cloves - 3 to 4
- bay leaf - 1, small
- cinnamon - ½-inch piece
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- fennel seeds - ½ teaspoon
- onion - 1, big
- ginger garlic paste - 1 and ½ teaspoon
- tomato - 1
- mint leaves - 2 tablespoons
- curd or yogurt - 1 and ½ tablespoons
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- water - 2 and ¾ cups
- coriander leaves - few
- Wash, soak and cook rajma or kidney beans. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan.
- Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion, ginger garlic paste, green chili and saute till onion turns light golden.
- Add mint leaves, saute.
- Add tomatoes, quarter teaspoon of salt, saute till they turn mushy.
- Add curd and mix well.
- Add rajma, soaked rice, water, salt, coriander leaves. mix well.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 1 whistle.
- Turn off the flame.
- Wait till the pressure subsides.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve rajma biryani with raita.