ragi malt or ragi porridge – a healthy, filling breakfast drink made with ragi flour or finger millet flour, milk and sugar.
ragi or finger millet is a reddish color grain which is very healthy. ragi malt is a regular breakfast drink in South India. It can be served to people of all ages.
ragi porridge can be made in sweet or salted form. Here I am sharing the recipe of sweet ragi porridge, but if you want to make salted ragi porridge, replace sugar and milk with salt and yogurt.
I always use jaggery while making ragi malt. jaggery tastes great with finger millet. In South India, ragi is the given to kids right from 4 months of age.
This ragi malt or ragi porridge can be made with homemade finger millet flour or with store bought ragi flour. I always make ragi flour at home. So I used that for making this healthy breakfast drink.
ragi malt recipe
preparation time: 5 mins
cooking time: 10 mins
recipe type: beverages
serves: 2 – 3
- ragi flour or finger millet flour – 1/2 cup
- water – 2 cups
- boiled milk – 1 and 1/2 cups
- sugar or palm sugar or jaggery – as required
- cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- nuts – as required
how to make ragi malt or ragi sweet porridge
1.If you are using jaggery, take jaggery in a pan. Add a little water and heat it till it melts. Strain it to remove the impurities. Keep aside. If you are using palm sugar, follow the same steps. But if you are using sugar, then you can avoid this step. (You can also make jaggery syrup in advance, refrigerate it, and use whenever necessary.)
2. Add finger millet flour or ragi flour into a bowl or saucepan. Add water little by little and make a smooth paste. Don’t add all the water at once. Mix ragi flour with a little water first to make a smooth paste without lumps and then add rest of the water.
3. Cook in low flame until ragi gets cooked well and become glossy. You will find that it starts bubbling. Keep stirring continuously so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan and will not form lumps. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Turn off the flame.
4. Add boiled milk, cardamom powder, mix well.
5. Add sugar or palm sugar or jaggery syrup. Mix well.
6. Allow it to cool a bit and then serve.
7. If the mixture becomes very thick, add a little boiled milk to dilute it.
8. Healthy ragi malt is ready.
ragi malt recipe below
- ½ cup ragi flour or finger millet flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 and ½ cups boiled milk
- sugar or jaggery or palm sugar as required
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- nuts as required
- If you are using jaggery or palm sugar, make syrup and strain it to remove impurities. In case of sugar, skip this step.
- Add water little by little to the finger millet flour and make a smooth paste without lumps.
- Then add the rest of the water and mix well.
- Cook this mixture in low flame until it becomes glossy. Keep stirring to avoid formation of lumps.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add milk, cardamom powder, sugar or jaggery syrup and mix well.
- Add nuts of your choice.
- Serve ragi malt warm.