|basmari rice / long grained rice||1 cup|
|for channa dal|
|channa dal||1/4 cup|
|turmeric powder||one pinch|
|onion||1 (medium – finely sliced)|
|ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon|
|turmeric powder||a pinch|
|chili powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|garam masala||1/4 teaspoon|
|curd / yogurt||1/2 cup|
|cinnamon||1 small piece|
|black cumin seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|coriander leaves||1/4 cup|
|mint leaves||1/4 cup|
|green chilies||2 (chopped)|
1. Wash and soak rice in enough water for 20 – 30 minutes.
2. Drain the excess water, add 2 cups of water, rice, salt and oil, to a pan and cook covered till it gets about 3/4 cooked. (It should be just cooked, it should not be mushy. Otherwise, when we cook again, the rice will get overcooked. )
b. Preparing saffron milk
1. To one tablespoon of warm milk, add a pinch of saffron and prepare saffron milk.
c. chana dal
1. Soak chana dal for half an hour.
2. Then cook chana dal with 3/4 cup of water and a pinch of turmeric powder. It will take approximately 10 – 15 minutes for cooking in medium flame.
3. Cook till soft but it should not be get overcooked.
d. preparing masala
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and saute till they become golden brown and crispy. Remove half of the fried onion and keep it aside for later use.
2. Now add cinnamon, cardamom and jeera. Saute and then add ginger garlic paste, mix well and saute till the raw smell goes off.
3. Add cooked chana dal and red chili powder. Mix well. Add curd, salt and mix well.
4. Cover and cook on low flame for 5 – 6 minutes till oil separates.
5. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
1. Heat a pan or handi on low flame on a tawa.
2. Spread a layer of lentil masala and then add a layer of rice on top of it.
3. Pour half of saffron milk and then sprinkle fried onion, mint, chopped coriander and chopped green chilies on top of it.
4. Again add another layer of chana masala, and a rice layer on top of it.
5. Add the remaining saffron milk, and fried onion Sprinkle mint, coriander leaves and green chili on top of it.
6. Cover and cook on low flame for 25 – 30 minutes. (If using a pan, cover with a tight lid. Steam should not escape from the sides. Seal the edges with wheat flour dough. )
7. Qabooli biryani is ready to be served. Serve it with salad.
8. Serve with mirchi ka salan and salad.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving