Puttu ularthiyathu / puttu upma is very easy to prepare. It becomes more easy, when you have puttu readily available. Heat oil (coconut oil is preferred) in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, then add urud dal, curry leaves, chopped shallots, ginger, green chilly, hing and saute well. Then add puttu, saute it well and serve. Isn’t easy? This can also be served as a snack and your family will definitely love it. You can also serve it with kadala curry or with some coconut chutney. Hope you all will like this recipe of puttu ularthiyathu
|puttu||1 1/2 cups|
|oil (coconut oil)||1 tablespoon|
|mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|dry red chilly||1 – 2(broken)|
|urud dal / uzhunnu parippu||1 teaspoon|
|curry leaves / kariveppila||few|
|hing /asafoetida powder / kayam||a pinch|
|ginger (grated)||1 teaspoon|
|green chilly||1 (chopped)|
|shallots||10 (finely chopped)|
1. Powder the cooked puttu with hand or with a spoon. (Click here for steps on how to make puttu)
2. In a pan or kadai, heat oil, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add urud dal, curry leaves, dry red chilly, hing saute for few seconds till urud dal starts becoming brownish in color.
3. Then add chopped shallots, ginger, green chilly and saute again for few more minutes. Saute till shallots become pinkish in color.
4. Now add powdered puttu and sprinkle little water into it. Mix well and stir for another 5 more minutes. Check salt. Add little if necessary.
5. Puttu ularthiyathu / puttu upma is ready to be served. Serve hot.
1. You can also try other variations by adding vegetables, eggs or chicken to this dish.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving