potato stew | ishtu recipe | appam stew – The recipe of potato stew is very easy to prepare and needs only very few ingredients. The main highlight of stew is the flavor of coconut milk and curry leaves.
The only difficulty while making stew is preparing coconut milk. If you have coconut milk ready with you, then preparing ishtu is very easy. You can also use store bought coconut milk, but I prefer using fresh coconut milk.
In some parts of Kerala, whole spices like cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, and cardamom are also added while preparing stew, but in Palakkad style preparation, we don’t use any spices.
Let us learn how to make potato stew recipe with step by step photos.
potato stew recipe| appam ishtu recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: main, curry
cuisine: South Indian
serves: 2 – 3
- potato – 3 medium, peeled and cut into thin pieces
- onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
- green chili – 4 – 5
- ginger – 2-inch piece, finely chopped
- thin coconut milk – 2 and 1/2 cups
- thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- coconut oil – 3 teaspoons
- curry leaves – one sprig
- salt – to taste
how to make potato stew recipe with step by step photos
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add sliced onion, ginger, slit green chilies, few curry leaves to it and stir for a few seconds till onion turns soft. Don’t fry too much, otherwise, the color of onion will change.
2. Add thin potato pieces and saute for a second.
3. Add thin coconut milk, mix well. Reduce the flame to low, cover the pan, and cook till potatoes get cooked well. (You can also pressure cook for 1 whistle. ) Mash some of the potatoes to get a thick gravy.
4. Once the potato pieces are cooked well, add salt, thick coconut milk, mix well. While adding thick coconut milk, keep stirring and take care to keep the flame low. Turn off the flame. After adding thick coconut milk, don’t cook for a long time, otherwise, it will curdle.
5. Add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, one sprig of curry leaf. Cover the pan and leave the stew aside for 5 minutes.
6. potato stew is ready. Serve with appam, idiyappam, dosa, idli, and also with bread.
potato stew | kerala ishtu recipe
- potato - 3 medium, peeled and cut into thin pieces
- onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
- green chili - 4 - 5
- ginger - 2-inch piece, finely chopped
- thin coconut milk - 2 cups
- thick coconut milk - ½ cup
- coconut oil - 3 teaspoons
- curry leaves - one sprig
- salt - to taste
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan.
- Add sliced onion, finely chopped ginger, green chili. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add potatoes and saute for a second.
- Add thin coconut milk bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook till potatoes get cooked well.
- Add thick coconut milk, salt, mix well. Turn off the flame.
- Add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, one sprig of curry leaves.
- stew for appam is ready.
- Serve potato stew with appam, idiyappam, dosa, idli, bread