potato chips – tasty and easy to make tea time snack with potato.
Potato chips recipe / making potato chips at home – crispy, crunchy, snacks which anyone would love to munch upon. It is a very popular snack and is loved by people of all ages. At home, we all love potato chips and I make it very often.
Preparing crispy potato chips at home is very easy. It just involves a few steps. Slice the potatoes, soak in salt water, dry them, and then deep fry the potato slices to make crispy potato chips at home.
Making potato chips at home gives you the flexibility to add seasoning according to your wish. My kids prefer plain salted chips while, I love chips with chili powder. We also make chips with raw banana, jackfruit.
To make these potato chips all you need is big or medium sized potatoes, water, oil, and salt. You can adjust the quantity of water and salt according to your taste preference.
You can make potato chips in many ways. In one method, you can immerse the potato slices in salt water, dry them and then deep fry. In other, salt water is sprinkled while frying the chips. You can also fry the chips and then toss them with salt and chili powder.
For making potato chips, select larger potatoes to get chips of larger diameter. Also, use a slicer for cutting the potato into even slices.
While frying, if you feel that the oil has got heated more, then turn off the flame for a few minutes and allow the oil to get cooled. Then repeat the same process to make potato chips.
You can also make this potato chips for Navaratri fasting, by replacing normal salt with rock salt. You can also make potato chips for parties. You can prepare it in advance and store it in an airtight container.
Serve potato chips as a snack or as a side dish with curd rice or other variety rice.
Let us see how to make potato chips at home
Other potato recipes:
How to make potato chips recipe with step by step pics
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Slice them using a slicer or by hand. It is important to slice the potatoes thin and in equal thickness. Drop the sliced potatoes into water to prevent discoloration. Rinse it again two to three times.
2. Drop the potato slices to salted water. Leave it aside for 15 – 20 minutes. After that, transfer the potato pieces to a colander and rinse it once more.
3. Spread these potato pieces on a plain paper or a white cloth and let it dry for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pat dry the potato slices using another paper or towel.
4. Heat oil in a pan or kadai. To check whether the oil is hot enough, drop a piece of potato into the hot oil. If it starts bubbling and raise to the top, then the oil is hot enough.
5. Reduce the flame to medium and slowly drop the potato pieces. Keep turning and pressing to ensure that the potato pieces get cooked well. Repeat this process till the bubble ceases. Once the bubble ceases and potatoes become crispy, remove the potato chips using a slotted spoon. Place it on an absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
6. Sprinkle pepper powder or chili powder, and toss well. Once cooled, store potato chips in an airtight container. It stays fresh up to 4 – 5 days in an airtight container.
7. Serve potato chips as a snack or as a side dish with curd rice, or any other variety rice.
Homemade potato chips recipe below
- potatoes - 3
- salt - as required
- oil - for deep frying
- chili powder - ½ teaspoon
- Wash and peel the potatoes
- Slice potatoes into equal thickness using a slicer or by hand.
- Add salt to a bowl of water, and soak the sliced potatoes in salt for 30 mins.
- Take the potato pieces out, rinse them in a colander.
- Spread these potato pieces on a paper or a cloth and let it dry for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add potatoes in batches and fry them till they become golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer them to an absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
- Potato chips are ready. Season with chili powder or pepper powder.
- Once cooled, store in an air-tight container.
Potato slices should be very thin.