ven pongal recipe
- raw rice – 3/4 cup
- moong dal – 1/4 cup
- water – 4 cups
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- peppercorns – 3 – 4
- salt – to taste
- ghee – 2 tablespoons
- cumin seeds – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
- ginger – 1 tablespoon, grated
- peppercorns – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons, crushed
- curry leaves – few
- cashew nuts – 5 – 6
how to make pongal recipe with step by step photos
1. In a pressure cooker, dry roast moong dal till it becomes light golden in color. Let it cool. Rinse rice and moong dal with clear water twice or thrice and add it to the pressure cooker. Add 4 cups of water, salt, 1/2 teaspoon of ghee, cumin seeds and peppercorns. Give it a quick mix. Close the lid and pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles on a medium flame or until rice and dal get cooked together. Wait till the pressure subsides. Then using the back of a ladle, mash the rice and dal together until it becomes mushy.
2. Heat ghee in a pan. To this add grated ginger, cumin seeds, crushed peppercorns, curry leaves, cashew nuts, and saute for a minute. Add the tempering to the rice dal mixture. Mix well. If you don’t like the flavor of pepper, then instead of adding crushed pepper, add few peppercorns and afterward, you can discard them.
- raw rice - ¾ cup
- moong dal - ¼ cup
- water - 4 cups
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- peppercorns - 3 - 4
- salt - to taste
- for seasoning
- ghee - 2 tablespoons
- cumin seeds - 1 and ½ teaspoons
- ginger - 1 tablespoon, grated
- peppercorns - 1 and ½ teaspoons, crushed
- curry leaves - few
- cashew nuts - 5 - 6
- Dry roast moong dal.
- Rinse moong dal, rice. Pressure cook rice and moong dal with 4 cups of water, salt, cumin seeds, peppercorns, ghee for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Mash well.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Temper with cumin seeds, ginger, curry leaves, cashew nuts, peppercorns and add it to the prepared pongal.
- Mix well.
- Serve with coconut chutney and sambar