andhra pesarattu recipe is a very healthy dosa made with moong dal. We are all aware of the health benefits of moong dal. It is high in proteins, low in calories, and is rich in vitamins and minerals. So this dosa is also good for people who are on a diet. It can be made in a non-stick tawa with very less oil.
Idli and dosa are staple South Indian breakfast items which are prepared for breakfast in most of the houses. But preparing the same variety of breakfast is a little boring. This moong dal dosa is different from the regular dosa varieties and is more healthier. I tried this once long time back after seeing a cookery show and after that this dosa is a regular one at our breakfast table.
pesarattu preparation is very easy and involves very few steps. Soak rice and dal together for 4 – 5 hours. Then grind them along with ginger, green chili and other spices. Transfer the ground contents to a bowl and add salt. This is pesarattu batter. Once the batter is ready, you can make dosa immediately. There is no fermentation needed.
pesarattu batter has to be used immediately after grinding to get nice green colored dosa. If the batter is kept outside for a long time, it tends to change color.
pesarattu upma is a very tasty combination in the state of Andhra Pradesh. The dosa is prepared and served along with upma in the middle. It is called as MLA pesarattu. I am not sure about how it got the name. I got this information from one of my cousin who did her education In Andhra.
This dosa is served with pesarattu chutney which is very different from the regular coconut chutney which we prepare at home. It is called as allam pachadi . It is a chutney with a gingery flavor.
Serve moong dal dosa hot with pesarattu ginger chutney or simply with coconut chutney.
preparation time: 4 – 5 hours
cooking time: 25 minutes
recipe type: breakfast
cuisine: South Indian
serves: 2 – 3
- green gram – 2 cups
- rice – 1/4 cup
- green chili – 4 – 5
- ginger – 1-inch piece
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- onion – 2 medium, finely chopped
- green chilies – 2, finely chopped
- oil or ghee – as required
1. Rinse moong dal and rice twice or thrice in water and soak it over night or for 4 – 5 hours.
2. Next morning, grind green chilly, ginger, cumin seeds first. Then add the moong dal and rice and grind to a smooth paste by adding little water to get a dosa batter consistency. The batter should not be too thin. Mix salt and keep it aside.
3 Finely chop onion and green chillies. Then mix the chopped onion, and green chili. Keep it aside.
4. Heat tawa, grease it with oil. When tawa is hot enough, pour a ladleful of batter onto the tawa and spread it in circular motion. Pour ghee / oil around the edges, cover and cook for 1- 2 minutes in medium flame. Open and check once. If dosa is not cooked well, cover and cook again for few more minutes.
5. Sprinkle one teaspoon of onion mix in the center, and press it nicely. Flip it to the other side. Apply ghee or oil on top of the dosa and cook for few more minutes till pesarattu becomes crispy.
6. Serve hot with coconut chutney or with ginger chutney.
andhra pesarattu recipe below
- green gram - 2 cups
- rice - ¼ cup
- green chili - 4 - 5
- ginger - 1-inch piece
- cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- for topping
- onion - 2 medium, finely chopped
- green chilies - 2, finely chopped
- oil or ghee - as required
- Rinse moong dal and rice in water and soak it in enough water for 4 - 5 hours or overnight.
- After 5 hours, grind together ginger, green chili cumin seeds.
- Add soaked moong dal, rice and grind to a smooth batter.
- Add salt, mix well.
- Heat a tawa or a griddle. Grease it with oil.
- Pour one ladle full of batter onto the hot tawa and gently move in circular motion making the shape of a dosa.
- Sprinkle onion, green chili mixture on top.
- Cover and cook on medium flame till one side gets cooked well.
- Flip and cook on other side too.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot with ginger chutney
Enjoy hot pesarattu with allam pachadi!!