peanut chutney recipe with step by step photos. groundnut chutney is a tasty side dish for idli, dosa or uttapam. peanut chutney for dosa idli a very popular and easy chutney recipe made with peanut. It is also known as groundnut chutney or kadalekai chutney.
I always make coconut chutney for idli dosa but there are times when there is no coconut available at home. In such cases, I prefer making this peanut chutney without coconut.
There are various ways in which peanut chutney can be prepared peanut chutney with coconut, with garlic and many others. Today, I am sharing an easy peanut chutney without coconut. This chutney tastes great with soft idli and crisp dosa and can be prepared in very less time. It is rich in proteins, and has a thick, creamy texture.
Another advantage is that I can pack this chutney along with lunch box as it does not contain coconut, it will not get spoilt.
The recipe for peanut chutney is very easy. Add a little oil in a pan, add shallots, chili, cumin seeds, garlic and roast for a few seconds. Add roasted peanuts and saute for a few seconds. Let the mixture cool and then blend it well using a mixer jar. Finally, add tempering to the chutney. While tempering, do not forget to add urad dal as it enhances the flavor of chutney.
The color of the chutney depends upon the ingredients used. If using dry red chili, peanut chutney will be reddish in color and with green chili, the color will be different.
Let us see how to make peanut chutney with step by step photos.
Other chutney recipes:
- peanuts – 1/2 cup
- shallots – 2
- dry red chili – 2
- garlic – 3
- tamarind – 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- oil – 2 teaspoons
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
- hing or asafoetida powder – a pinch
Step by step photos on how to make peanut chutney
1.Heat a pan, dry roast peanuts till it gets roasted well. Transfer it to another plate and let it cool. Once cooled, rub the peanuts slowly with your hands and remove the skin.
2. Heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, onion, garlic, dry red chili, tamarind and saute well. Turn off the flame. Let it cool.
3. Add the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar along with the roasted peanuts. Grind it to a smooth paste adding enough water.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and saute till it becomes golden brown in color. Add curry leaves and hing. Saute well. Turn off the flame. Add the tempered ingredients to the chutney.
5. Serve peanut chutney with idli or dosa.
peanut chutney recipe below
- Peanuts - ½ cup
- Shallots - 2
- Dry red chili - 2
- Garlic - 3
- Tamarind - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds / jeera - ½ teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- Urad dal - ¼ teaspoon
- Curry leaves - few
- Asafoetida powder / Hing - a pinch
- Dry roast peanuts till a nice aroma comes.
- Let it cool. Then remove the skin.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, onion, garlic, dry red chili, tamarind and saute well.
- Let it cool.
- Then transfer the roasted ingredients along with peanuts into a mixer jar.
- Add enough water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Transfer chutney to a bowl.
- In a pan heat oil, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, curry leaves,
hingand saute till urad dal turns golden brown in color. Turn off the flame.
- Add the tempering to the chutney and mix well.
- Serve peanut chutney with idli or dosa.
Hope this post was useful. Do leave your comments, views and suggestions in the box given below.
Enjoy cooking and serving