This chutney powder is also called as shenga chutney pudi or kadalekayi chutney pudi. Kadalekayi is a Kannada name for peanuts and shenga in Marathi. This is really very easy to make and aromatic. It can also be stored for few days in airtight containers. Now to the recipe..Other similar recipes:
peanuts – 1 cup
roasted chana dal / pottukadala – 1/3 cup
dry red chili – 8 – 10
cumin seeds / jeera – 1 teaspoon
garlic – 2 – 3
sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
curry leaves – few
tamarind – one marble sized ball
oil – 1 teaspoon
jaggery – a piece (optional – I didn’t use)
How to make chutney powder
1. Heat a pan or kadhai and dry roast peanuts in low flame until it gets roasted well and brown spots appear on them. Transfer it to another plate.
2. In the same pan, add roasted chana dal / fried gram, just saute for a few minutes till it becomes warm and then transfer it to a plate along with peanuts.
3. Next add sesame seeds and roast them on low flame till they become slightly brownish in color.
4. Add garlic and tamarind, saute till they turn crispy.
5. Add a teaspoon of oil, then add dry red chili and curry leaves to the same pan and saute till it becomes crisp, then add sauteed tamarind and garlic, saute for a few seconds and transfer to plate along with other ingredients.
6. Next add cumin seeds and saute again for a few more minutes on low flame and then add along with the other ingredients.
7. Now add other ingredients along with asafoetida powder to the kadhai / pan, and saute for few more minutes. Transfer it to a plate and allow it to cool.
8. Add all the roasted ingredients along with salt and jaggery to the mixer jar and grind it to a fine powder.
9. Peanut chutney powder is ready. This goes well with breakfast items like idli / dosa. Serve chutney powder topped with ghee / oil.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving