peanut chikki recipe or groundnut chikki – also called as kadala mittai is a tasty sweet recipe made with peanuts.
peanut chikki is popular throughout the country. Down south, it is called as kadala mittai and in the North it is called as chikki. The main ingredient for making groundnut chikki is peanuts, and jaggery.
The method of making peanut chikki is very easy. The main step is the preparation of jaggery syrup. If the syrup consistency is correct, then your will be able to make perfect chikki. You can check the consistency of jaggery by dropping a pinch of syrup into cold water. If you are able to make a ball out of it, then it is the right stage.
The color of the chikki depends on the color of the jaggery used. Here I have used pale yellow jaggery, so my chikki is also in the same color. For a dark color, you can use dark colored jaggery.
Let us see how to make peanut chikki recipe with step by step photos.
peanut chikki recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 10 minutes
recipe type: indian sweet
serves: 2 – 3
- peanuts – 1 cup
- jaggery – 1 cup
- ghee – 1 tablespoon
- water – 1 tablespoon
how to make peanut chikki recipe with step by step photos
1.Grease a plate with ghee and keep aside.
2. Heat a pan. When the pan is hot enough, add the peanuts and dry roast it on a low-medium flame until the peanuts get roasted well and skin starts splitting. Keep stirring continuously while roasting so that they do not get burnt. Turn off the flame and allow the peanuts to cool. Once cool, rub them between your palms and remove the skin. Spread the peanuts on a plate and crush them slightly with a pestle. Keep them aside.
3. Heat a pan. Add jaggery, 1 teaspoon of ghee, water, and mix well. Stir well on a high flame so that the jaggery melts. Crush the big pieces of jaggery with a spoon.
4. Once the jaggery melts, strain it to remove the impurities. Pour the syrup into the pan and heat it in a medium flame. Once the syrup starts boiling, reduce the flame to low and cook for 2 more minutes. Drop a pinch of jaggery syrup into a bowl containing cold water. Leave it for 2 seconds. If you are able to make a soft ball, then the jaggery syrup has reached the right consistency.
5. To this jaggery syrup, add the roasted peanuts and mix well. Don’t stir for a long time. Just give it a quick mix and then pour the mixture onto a greased tray. Allow the mixture to cool for 2 – 3 minutes. While the mixture is still warm, make marks on the chikki using a knife.
6. peanut chikki is ready. Allow it to cool completely. Cut into pieces and serve.
peanut chikki or groundnut chikki recipe below
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Grease a plate and keep aside.
- Dry roast peanuts. Spread them on a plate. Let it cool.
- Rub the peanuts between your palm to remove the skin. Discard the skin.
- Slightly crush the peanuts using a pestle.
- Heat jaggery, ghee and water in a pan.
- When the jaggery melts strain the syrup to remove the impurities.
- Again pour the syrup back into the pan and cook on medium flame till it reaches one string consistency.
- Reduce the flame to low, add the roasted crushed peanuts, cardamom powder, mix well.
- Immediately pour the mixture onto a greased plate.
- While it is still warm make impressions on the chikki.
- Let it cool completely. Then cut into pieces.
- peanut chikki is ready