Today, I am sharing another onam special recipe – pazham pulissery. Pulissery is a curd based dish which is made with fruits. Many fruits are used for this purpose – pineapple, banana, mango, papaya and so on. Though I make pazham pulissery whenever I get nadan nendran pazham, mambhazha pulissery is my all time favourite. Myself and kids love this sweet and sour based curry though hubby is not a fan of this. You can make some variations to this by adding shallots while tempering. That gives an extra flavor to the dish. Though, I have not used it in the curry here, as we don’t use it in pulissery but addition of shallots gives an extra taste and extra flavor to the dish. Now to the recipe..
|turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|coconut (scraped)||1 cup|
|cumin seeds / jeerakam||1/2 teaspoon|
|green chilli||5 – 6|
|yogurt / curd||1 1/2 cup|
|oil (coconut oil)||1tablespoon|
|mustard seeds / kadugu||1/2 teaspoon|
|dry red chilly||2|
|fenugreek seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
1. Peel nendran pazham and cut into big pieces. (I removed the black string from bananas but it’s optional) In a bowl, add cut banana pieces, add water, turmeric powder, salt and one green chilli. Wait till it gets cooked.
2. Meanwhile, grind together, coconut, cumin seeds, green chilli into a smooth paste. To this add curd and give it one more pulse. Keep it aside.
3. Once the banana pieces are cooked, bring the flame to low, add the ground coconut yogurt mixture, add around 1/2 cup of water and wait till it starts boiling. (Don’t allow it to boil, as soon as it starts boiling, turn off the stove). Turn off the stove.
4. In another pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, then add curry leaves, dry red chilly and fenugreek seeds. Saute for a few seconds. (I used 1/8th tsp of fenugreek powder). Add this to the curry.
5. Yummy, tasty pulissery is ready. Serve it with any mezhukkupuratti and pappadam.
Onam sadya recipes (Click on the link below or image to get more Onam special recipes)
If you find this post useful, I would be extremely happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving