pattinam pakoda recipe – a tasty and easy to make tea time snack recipe.
pakoda also called as pakora is a famous Indian snack. The method of making pakoda varies from region to region and the taste also differs. But it tastes great irrespective of the region it belong to. It can be served with coconut chutney or green chutney.
pattinam pakoda is also called as pattanam pakoda. Pattinam is the Tamil word for cities. These pakodas were once very famous in Chennai city and hence the name pattinam pakoda.
pattinam pakoda recipe
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: snack
serves: 3 – 4
- roasted gram flour or pottukadalai mavu – 1 cup
- rice flour – 1/2 cup
- green chilies – 3
- ginger – 1/2-inch piece
- fennel seeds or perumjeerakam or sombu – 1/2 teaspoon, crushed
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon, slightly crushed
- curry leaves – few
- onion – 1 , finely chopped
- salt – to taste
- ghee – 2 teaspoons
- baking soda – a pinch
- oil – for deep frying
how to make pattinam pakoda recipe with step by step photos
1.Add little less than 1 cup of pottukadalai or roasted gram into a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth powder. This will give you 1 cup of roasted gram flour. (I have also tried making this with store bought sattu flour, it also works well, though there will be a slight variation in taste. )
2. Chop onion finely and keep aside.
3. In a bowl, add ghee and baking soda. Mix the soda well with the ghee rubbing vigorously with your fingers. You will find that it becomes frothy.
4. To this add roasted gram flour, rice flour, salt, chopped onion, turn curry leaves, crushed cumin and fennel seeds, grated ginger, chopped curry leaves. Mix well.
5. Add water little by little and make a firm dough. Divide the dough into equal portions and make small goozeberry sized balls.
6. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough, gently slide the balls into the hot oil and fry till golden brown in medium flame. The oil should not be too hot otherwise, the outer portion will get cooked and the inner portion will be raw.
7. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pakodas from hot oil and place them on a kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
8. Serve pattinam pakoda with coconut chutney.
pattinam pakoda recipe
- roasted gram flour or pottukadalai mavu - 1 cup
- rice flour - ½ cup
- green chilies - 3
- ginger - ½-inch piece
- fennel seeds or perumjeerakam or sombu - ½ teaspoon, crushed
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon, slightly crushed
- curry leaves - few
- onion - 1 , finely chopped
- salt - to taste
- ghee - 2 teaspoons
- baking soda - a pinch
- oil - for deep frying
- Add roasted gram flour, rice flour into a bowl.
- Add finely chopped onion, green chili and keep aside.
- Add 2 teaspoons of ghee, and baking soda in a bowl. Whisk it well.
- Add roasted gram flour, rice flour, chopped onion, green chili, curry leaves, asafoetida powder, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and all the other ingredients to the ghee mixture.
- Mix well
- Add water little by little and knead it to a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot enough, gently slide the balls into the hot oil and fry in medium flame.
- Remove the pakodas using a slotted spoon and transfer it to an absorbent sheet.
- Serve pattinam pakoda hot with coconut chutney.