papaya mezhukkupuratti is a tasty and healthy stir fry made with papaya. mezhukkupuratti is a kerala style preparation where vegetables are cooked in an onion paste.
papaya mezhukkupuratti recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 10 minutes
recipe type: main
serves: 2 – 3
- raw papaya – 1 medium or 3 cups chopped
- shallots – 12 – 15 or 1 onion
- garlic – 4
- red chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- oil – 2 teaspoons
- dry red chilly – 2
- curry leaves – few
- green chilies – 1- 2
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
how to make papaya mezhukkupuratti recipe
1. Peel the skin of papaya and dice it into small pieces. (Here I have made use of raw papaya, you can make use of semi-ripe papaya if you like a little sweetness to your dish)
3. Mix it nicely with the diced papaya. Keep aside.
1. In a kadai, heat a teaspoon of oil, add the papaya mixture and salt. Then sauté it well on medium flame so that the raw smell of garlic goes off.
2. Then add around half a glass of water, bring the water to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame to low, cover and cook on low flame till the papaya pieces get half cooked. Stir in-between to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. In a pan heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, add two dry red chilies, one slit green chili (optional), followed by curry leaves and sauté it for a second. Then add the half cooked papaya pieces. Reduce the flame to medium, and gently mix everything together so that the papaya pieces gets coated with the oil.
5. Let it get roasted for another 5 – 6 minutes or until papaya pieces get cooked well.
6. Serve it hot with rice and any curry of your choice.