papaya halwa recipe – tasty halwa made with papaya.
papaya halwa is a very tasty indian sweet made with papaya, sugar, ghee, cardamom powder and a little milk powder. It can be made with sweet, semi-ripe or raw papaya. I used ripe papaya which I got from my backyard. Since ripe papaya has a natural sweetness, less sugar will be needed to prepare papaya halwa.
But if you are using raw papaya to make halwa, you will need more amount of sugar. So depending on the type of papaya, you can increase or decrease the amount of sugar.
papaya halwa recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 40 minute
recipe type: dessert
- papaya – 1 medium or around 4 cups, grated
- ghee – 3 tablespoons
- sugar – 5 tablespoons
- milk powder or almond powder – 2 tablespoons
- cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- cashew nuts – 10 to 12
how to make papaya halwa recipe
1.To begin making papaya halwa, wash a ripe papaya, peel the skin, and slice it. Remove the seeds and the pith from the top.
2. Then finely chop the papaya slices of grate them.
3. Heat ghee in a pan. When the ghee is hot enough, add the grated papaya pieces. Stir and cook on a low flame for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep on stirring until it releases all the juices and it starts changing color.
4. Now add sugar and stir well. Cook for another 18 to 20 minutes on a low flame. During this process you will find ghee separating on the sides of the pan.
5. Add milk powder, cardamom powder, and mix well. Instead of milk powder, almond powder can also be used.
6. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes till entire mixture comes together and reaches a halwa consistency.
7. Finally, add cashew nuts, mix well.
8. papaya halwa is ready. Serve it immediately or chill and serve.