paneer kheer/ paneer payasam – is an easy an quick dessert which can be prepared during any function or any special occasion and is made using paneer, milk and condensed milk. Paneer is a fresh cheese which is very commonly used in Indian cuisine. It is made by curdling milk with lemon juice, curd or yogurt or citric acid. You can make this dessert with home made paneer or with storebought paneer or cottage cheese. This kheer is one such recipe which can be made in a jiffy and needs very few ingredients. I have added condensed milk to give the kheer a creamy texture. But you can omit condensed milk and add sugar instead. This kheer tastes great when chilled.
Since today is TAMIL NEW YEARS DAY, and my blog has shifted to its new home, I thought of celebrating it with a sweet dish. So made this paneer payasam to celebrate this happy moment.
Other similar recipes:
paneer kheer recipe
- paneer – 1/2 cup, crumbled
- milk – 1/2 litre
- sugar – 1 tablespoon
- condensed milk – 4 to 5 tablespoons
- saffron – 4 to 5 strands
- cardamom powder – 1/8 teaspoon
- almonds – 5 to 6
- pistachios – 6 to 7, unsalted
- cashew nuts – 4 to 5
- rose essence – one drop, optional
how to make paneer kheer recipe with step by step photos
2. Meanwhile, chop dry fruits and keep it aside. Soak saffron strands in 2 tablespoons of hot milk.
3. Crumble paneer and keep it aside.
4. Once the milk is boiled and reduced, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and mix well for 2 minutes.
5. Now add grated paneer, saffron milk, condensed milk, cardamom powder and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes till the crumbled paneer gets cooked. Then add one drop of rose water and mix well.
6. Finally, garnish with nuts.
7. paneer kheer is ready.
1. If you don’t have condensed milk, then don’t worry. Take 3 cups of milk, reduce it to half, then add 3 – 4 tablespoons of sugar, mix it well and let it cook for around 5 minutes in low flame. Keep stirring in between. Then add crumbled paneer and other ingredients.
2. If you are using fresh homemade paneer, you can just crumble it and use as such. But if you are using store bought paneer, then grate it and use it.
paneer kheer recipe below
- paneer - ½ cup, crumbled
- milk - ½ litre
- sugar - 1 tablespoon
- condensed milk - 4 to 5 tablespoons
- saffron - 4 to 5 strands
- cardamom powder - ⅛ teaspoon
- almonds - 5 to 6
- pistachios - 6 to 7, unsalted
- cashew nuts - 4 to 5
- rose essence - one drop, optional
- Bring milk to a boil in a thick bottomed pan.
- Once it starts boiling, simmer the flame to low and wait till it reduces to half the original quantity.
- Meanwhile, chop the dry fruits and keep aside.
- Crumble paneer and keep aside.
- Soak saffron in 2 tablespoons of warm milk and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Once the milk is reduced in volume, add sugar, mix well.
- Add crumbled paneer, saffron, condensed milk, cardamom powder, mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Finally, add chopped nuts, rose essence, mix well.
- paneer kheer is ready.