palak paratha recipe or palak chapati with step by step photos. spinach paratha is a healthy paratha recipe for breakfast.
palak paratha is an addition to the paratha varieties which can be made for breakfast. We often call it as palak chapati. It is made with a combination of whole wheat flour, palak puree, cumin seeds, salt and garam masala.
There are various ways to make palak paratha. You can make them with finely chopped spinach leaves sauteed with spices. You can also blanch the spinach leaves and grind them. But I prefer this method of grinding the palak with green chili and ginger. This is a healthy breakfast option for kids who hesitate to take greens.
I have already shared the recipe of palak puri. You can check other palak recipes like palak dal, palak paneer and many others. You might also be interested in other paratha recipes like aloo paratha, missi roti, and many others.
palak paratha recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: breakfast, dinner
- whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- spinach or palak – 3/4 cup
- green chili – 2
- ginger – one small piece
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- salt – to taste
- oil or ghee – for making paratha
how to make palak paratha recipe with step by step photos
1.Wash spinach leaves or palak in clear water twice or thrice. Drain all the excess water and chop finely. Chop ginger, green chili. Add the chopped spinach, ginger, green chili to a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste. You can also add garlic while grinding, but I didn’t use any.
2. Take whole wheat flour in a pan. Add salt and mix well. To this add the spinach puree, cumin seeds, garam masala, and mix until everything gets combined well. You will find the mixture becoming light green in color.
3. Now add water little by little and make a smooth firm dough. Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, take the dough, add 2 teaspoons of oil and knead it well. Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
5. Take each ball, dust it with wheat flour, and roll it out into a circle of 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
6. Heat a tawa or a griddle and grease it with oil. When the tawa becomes hot enough, place one circle onto the hot tawa. Cook till you find bubbles on the upper surface. Flip to the other side. Add 1/2 teaspoon of oil on the upper surface. Flip and cook on both the sides till golden brown spots appear. Repeat the same steps with the rest of the dough.
7. Serve palak paratha with raita or with pickle.
palak paratha or palak chapati recipe below
- whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- spinach or palak - ¾ cup
- green chili - 2
- ginger - one small piece
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- salt - to taste
- oil or ghee - for making paratha
- Wash and chop spinach, ginger, green chilies. Grind them to a smooth paste.
- Add whole wheat flour, salt, spinach puree, cumin seeds, garam masala, to a bowl. Mix well and knead it to make a dough.
- Cover and keep the dough aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil and knead it once more.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
- Take each ball, roll it into a circle of 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a tawa or griddle.
- Place the circle on the hot tawa and cook on both the sides till golden brown spots appear.
- Serve palak paratha with raita and pickle.