palak dal recipe with step by step photos. Also called as dal palak or spinach dal, is very healthy, nutritious, tasty and easy to make dal recipe.
palak dal as the name suggests is made with a combination of palak or spinach and dal or lentils. You can use moong dal alone or toor dal alone for making dal palak. Here I have used a combination of moong dal and arhar dal for making dal curry.
Serve palak dal with roti, jeera rice, paratha or with chapati. It can also be served with plain steamed basmati rice.
Let us see how to make palak dal recipe with step by step photos.
palak dal recipe
preparation time: 15 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: main, side dish
serves: 2 – 3
- moong dal – 1/4 cup
- toor dal- 1/4 cup
- water – 1 and 1/2 cups
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- palak or spinach – 1 and 1/2 cups
- oil or ghee – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- onion – 1 large, finely chopped
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
- ginger – 1/2-inch piece, crushed
- garlic – 3 – 4, crushed or finely chopped
- green chili – 1
- red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- tomato – 1, finely chopped
- dry red chili – 1
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
how to make palak dal recipe with step by step photos
1.Rinse dal twice or thrice in water. Add the dal to a pressure cooker along with water, turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida powder or hing. Pressure cook for 3 whistles or until dal gets cooked till soft. Wait till the pressure subsides. Then mash the dal well with the back of a ladle and keep aside.
2. Rinse palak leaves three to four times with clear water and finely chop them. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil or ghee in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add cumin seeds and wait till they sizzle. Add crushed or finely chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off.
4. Add finely chopped onion, green chili, and saute till they turn light brownish in color.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy and oil starts separating on the sides of the pan.
6. Add red chili powder, salt and mix well.
7. Add finely chopped spinach leaves, saute well. Saute till the spinach wilts.
8. Add cooked and mashed dal, along with half to 1 cup of water, mix well. Bring it to a boil.
9. Reduce the flame, cover and cook for 4 – 5 minutes and then turn off the flame.
10. In another pan, heat 1/2 teaspoon of ghee. Splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chili, 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds, asafoetida powder. Saute for a few seconds and then turn off the flame. Pour the tempering over the dal.
11. palak dal is ready. Serve dal palak with jeera rice, phulka or with chapati.
palak dal recipe below
- moong dal - ¼ cup
- toor dal- ¼ cup
- water - 1 and ½ cups
- turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
- palak or spinach - 1 and ½ cups
- oil or ghee - 1 and ½ tablespoons
- onion - 1 large, finely chopped
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing - a pinch
- ginger - ½-inch piece, crushed
- garlic - 3 - 4, crushed or finely chopped
- green chili - 1
- red chili powder - ½ teaspoon
- tomato - 1, finely chopped
- dry red chili - 1
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- Pressure cook dal with water, turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida powder. Cook for 3 whistles. Mash dal, keep aside.
- Finely chop palak leaves. Keep aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add ginger garlic, saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped onion, green chili. Saute till onion starts turning brownish in color.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook until oil starts separating on the sides of the pan.
- Add red chili powder, salt, mix well.
- Add finely chopped spinach leaves, saute until they wilt.
- Add cooked and mashed dal, required water, bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 4 - 5 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- In another pan, heat ½ teaspoon of ghee, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add dry red chili, ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, asafoetida powder. Saute for a few seconds and then turn off the flame.
- Pour the tempering over the dal
- Serve palak dal with jeera rice and roti.