paal payasam recipe | rice kheer | rice payasam with step by step photos – payasam or kheer is a popular Indian dessert prepared on all important festivals in India.
rice kheer recipe | rice payasam | paal payasam recipe with step by step pictures – paal payasam is a popular dessert made with milk, raw rice, sugar and cardamom powder. The name paal payasam because it is made with milk which is called as paal in Malayalam and Tamil. The preparation of rice kheer is very similar to that of seviyan kheer and sheer khurma.
payasam is a traditional sweet recipe which is made during special occasions such as marriages, birthday’s and during festivals. paal payasam is a pudding which is made out of rice, milk, and sugar and is considered to be a must during Sri Krishna Jayanti festival. This is a very simple recipe which even the beginners can try.
paal payasam recipe | rice kheer
- raw rice – 3 tablespoons
- milk – 5 cups or 1 litre
- water – 2 cups
- sugar – 1/2 cup (adjust according to your requirement)
- cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- ghee – 1 teaspoon
- cashew nuts and raisins – few
how to make paal payasam recipe with step by step photos
1. To make paal payasam, add water and milk to a thick bottomed pan or uruli. (You can also make use of a pressure cooker, but I always prefer cooking payasam in an uruli.) Bring it to a boil.
2. Once it starts boiling, add the washed raw rice to it. Keep cooking on a medium high flame till the rice gets cooked well. Stir in between so that the rice does not get stuck to the bottom of the pan.
3. The milk mixture will evaporate, will start becoming thick and cream in color. This will take around 30 – 40 minutes. By this time, the rice will be cooked well.
4. Now add sugar, mix well and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes till the sugar gets dissolved completely. Add in cardamom powder, mix well and then turn off the flame.
5. Heat ghee in a pan. When the ghee becomes hot enough, add cashew nuts and roast till they start changing color. Transfer it to another plate. Into the same ghee, add raisins and fry till they puff up. Transfer it to the plate along with roasted cashew nuts.
6. Add the roasted nuts and raisins to the paal payasam.
paal payasam | rice kheer recipe below
- raw rice - 3 tablespoons
- milk - 5 cups or 1 litre
- water - 2 cups
- sugar - ½ cup (adjust according to your requirement)
- cardamom powder - ½ teaspoon
- ghee - 1 teaspoon
- cashew nuts and raisins - few
- Add water and milk to a thick bottomed pan.
- Add washed rice and cook on a medium flame till the rice gets cooked well.
- The milk mixture will reduce to half and become creamy in color.
- Add sugar, mix well. Cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder, mix well and then turn off the flame.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Fry cashew nuts and raisins, add them to the kheer.
- paal payasam is ready