Today, I am sharing yet another breakfast recipe. An uttappam made with barley. Barley, as we all know is very beneficial for health but, none of them in my family like to take barley as such. But as you know I am finding ways to include millets regularly into my family diet. So after trying barley upma which was a super hit at home, I tried this barley onion tomato uttappam which also became super hit. No one was able to guess what it was made of. When I asked hubby and nanu how it is they were like – “this is good. what is new in this ? normal uttappam. ” Then I revealed the secret – it is not normal uttappam and it is made of barley. There was not even a smell of taste difference of barley. This time I have added rice and barley in equal quantities. But definitely next time, I will try to increase the quantity of barley. Do try it out. you will love it. Now to the recipe..
|rice (raw)||1 cup|
|urud dal||1/2 cup|
|dosa batter||2 -3 cups|
|onion||3/4 cup (finely chopped)|
|tomato||3/4 cup (finely chopped)|
|coriander leaves||2 tablespoon|
|sambar powder / idli podi||as req.|
|ghee / oil||for making uttappam|
1. Mix barley, raw rice and urud dal in a bowl. Let it soak for 5 – 6 hours. Then grind it nicely to form a smooth batter. Add the required amount of salt and leave it for fermentation overnight (or for 8 hrs. Depending on the temparature of your region. )
2. Mix chopped onion, tomato, green chillies and coriander leaves in a bowl. Keep it aside.
3. Heat a griddle or tawa, add 1 ladle of dosa batter, and spread it into a slightly thick circle in the same way as you do for dosa. (Here the quantity of batter will be more thicker than that of normal dosa, as uttappams are bit thicker.)
4. Top uttappam with onion, tomato, green chilli and coriander leaves.
5. Sprinkle little sambar powder or idli powder on top.
6. Add 1 teaspoon of ghee / oil to the sides and top of uttappam.
7. Once the base is cooked, flip it to the other side, and apply ghee / oil on the cooked side.
8. Once you feel that it is cooked on this side too, flip it to the other side. (If you feel that it is not cooked properly, flip it again and cook well)
9. Uttappams are ready and serve it with sambar and coconut chutney.
If you find this post useful, I would be extremely happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving